Colt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my Pythons (1981) has an Elliason sight. Does anyone know if the Python ever came from the factory with the Elliason rear sight? Could this have been a factory option, or likely accessory add on? Anyone know approx when the Elliason sight came into use on revolvers?

Thanks

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,899 Posts
The Ellison was a factory option on the Python.

Since all the post-war Colt pistols used the same adjustable sight mounting method, the Ellison would fit about anything, and could be special ordered.

I've seen the Ellison as a factory option on the Diamondback, the Trooper Mark III/King Cobra, and other Colt's.

I believe the Ellison was introduced with the Colt Gold Cup National Match 1911 in 1957

·
Registered
97 Posts
Actually, the "standard cut" used to mount the Acro and Elliason sights wasn't introduced until about 1953 or 1954 if my memory serves.

Some revolvers made after the war, probably from pre war parts stock, used the old windage only adjustable rear sight (Elevation was adjusted with the front sight).

Starting in about 1938 with the Match Target Woodsman Colt introduced the "Coltmaster" sight. These was featured on the Officers Model Special and some National Match Pistols until the Acro sight was introduced.

Bob

1 - 3 of 3 Posts