Colt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am always looking to match a factory box to one of my Colts wether at estate sales or on Auction sites . Does anyone know where I can find out wich style box went to wich year? Any help yould be appreciated . Thanks Acre5

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sure, right here. If you'll post the model along with a partial serial number( so we know the vintage), I'm sure someone will help.

------------------
Jeff

·
Premium Member
9,471 Posts
Most boxes have the serial number of the original gun on the box somewhere. The one exception that I believe exists is the medium brown leather-grain boxes of the middle 1950s. I have never seen one with a serial number, but I never say never with Colts. If the target is present, that will also have a serial number.

Just look for boxes with serial numbers in your range and you will usually be correct, unless you have a very late or very early gun.

Sheldon's book on the .38 Super has excellent pictures of all the box styles from the 1930s through the 1970s. The box styles for the Super mirror those for other Colts as well. The Sheldon book is the single best gun book for detail I have ever seen. You can use it as a guide for box searches.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts