Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my Colt Python and Detective Special back UPS. I sent the guns in about three weeks ago and they sent back a bill. I sent in a payment as they requested by mail to 1) replace the bolt/timing on the Python and 2) align the barrel on the DS, fix SA timing on DS and check stacking on DS.

The only thing I can see was done was that they replaced the bolt and retimed the Python....and as far as I can tell, even that wasn't done right. The bolt feels like it is dragging along the cylinder when it snaps back in place. The action is tighter too. Feels almost like my Official Police. It does not feel like the glass smooth action of a Python the way it was when I got it.

I AM TALKING ABOUT THE COLT FACTORY not some closet in the wall 'smith with a hammer file and wrench.

They are closed for the weekend by now, but I am steamed!!

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
remember a cool head always prevails.look on the bill and see what you were charged for. are both guns IN time, checked in slow s/a?? you wont be able to SEE a correctly done bbl align?? a correctly fit hand will feel LONG till you fire the gun some and it seats. colt, like anyone can screw up but i assure you IF they did they will correct it.i suggest you test fire the guns and see what happens. anyway it will be a good excuse to go shooting.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Total repairs for both guns was $149.

I called colt and the service rep. said they would call me back after the found out what is going on. I told them no repairs had been made on DS and the bolt had been replaced on PY but the action wasn't Python quality

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yeah, it sounds like something got miscommunicated at the factory and the guns were shipped before they were finished. The least Colt could do, it seems, is to send for the guns at their expense and finish the job ASAP. Sure hope all goes well and gets taken care of for you soon. I myself have two Pythons in need of factory attention and will be sending one or the other off in about two more weeks.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay,
They called me back and the service rep. told me "I called them and they told me that those guns had both been test fired."

???/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif???

"Test fired?" I ask.

"Yes they had been test fired and shown to be in factory condition"

I told her it was never an issue of whether the gun would go BANG or not. It was the barrel alignment, stacking check, and timing problem on the DS and the Python needing the bolt replaced and retimed (which was done) but the action not being up to Python standards. This was all itemized in my letter and in their bill to me when I paid them and on their form that they sent back with each gun.

She told me to send it back along with a copy of the Fed Ex reciept and if he found that it was not done properly as I said then they would reimburse me for sending it up there.

For the Python at least I feel the words "that is how it's supposed to be" coming up. But I am not a gun expert so I can't prove them wrong. I just know from handling other Pythons (including the one I sent them prior to my sending it off) that the action is always light and as smooth as glass.

This is kinda like the mechanic who does it wrong yet acts like everything is fine but you can't prove him wrong. It hasn't come to that yet, but I just have a funny feeling about this (I hope I am wrong)

any thoughts? Comments?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Sounds like the malignancy that spread through the Colt production line has found its way into the repair department!!

Gotta wonder "who" is doing the actual work!

Agree with you fully about the light,smooth action of ALL Pythons(and most older Colts!) that haven't been screwed up!

I wonder if Colt has hired "illegals" from Bridgeport,New Haven and Willimantic,3 cities in Conn. with this "problem".

Worse tune up I ever got when a had a 1969 Vette,was by a "factory rep."Claims he tuned it to "pollution specs."My regular mechanic.a drag racer,got it back right,both for power and mileage.

Don't let them rest on this,I would talk to "a boss" before I sent these guns back.

Bud /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

·
Registered
154 Posts
With Python's out of production, I wonder in ten years if anyone at the factory would even know what a Python is much less know how to work on one.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Unfortunately, it's kind of like taking a '57 T-Bird to the Ford garage for repairs...Might happen, might not.
The old-timers (my generation) who helped build 'em are the only ones who can still fix 'em, and do it with some consistency.
Don

·
Registered
156 Posts
No I disagree, if Colt claims and advertises (on their website) to have the parts and people with the training to do the repair jobs right, then the paying customer should expect that the repairs will be handled competently. I think Doug most certainly get a shop manager/foreman on the phone and have that person see to the repairs him or herself.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree Rick. They got the package this morning with a letter describing what is wrong and what was not fixed and what was fixed wrong.
Now that you mention it, I am going to call and try to talk to a supervisor tomorrow morning.

You are exactly right. If this company expects to keep it's 150 year old good name, then I have to expect that fundamental repairs can be made to a gun that they claim over the phone and on their website to be able to do.

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
I have several Colt Pythons and one has a super tigger, silk smooth and lighter than normal. It has been brought to the extreme edge of a safe lockup. It is recommended for target shooting with 38 spls and not a steady diet of heavy magnums. Talking to several gunsmiths I have learned that besides the smoothness that can be achieved by the parts seating properly, the length of the pull and the lightness is achieved by bringing the timing right to the end of its lockup. Too much more and the timing goes out. Put in new parts and retime it and its going to be a heavier pull than just prior to going out of time.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OKAY, I called the supervisor last week and ended up leaving a message. He didn't call me back. BUT, I gather he got it and is on top if it as I just received in the mail two letters (one for each gun) saying: "We have recieved the Colt Product (noted above) that you sent us. The work you requested is being performed at NO CHARGE. Word will begin without further action on your part. Thank you for using Colt Products."

Sounds good to me. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif For complete satisfaction, I will have to see the end results in repair. I'll update again within 30 days when I get the guns back.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
DOUG NEWS ALERT: Last weekend I got a package via Fed Ex but missed it and won't be back for another week. I called 1800 Go Fed Ex and they said it came from CMC . They said it would go back to the shipper if someone wasn't at the address by Tuesday. I called Colt and arranged for them to allow a friend of mine to pick up the package from the Fed Ex office.

He is scheduled to pick it up today. I will call him later and ask him to open the package and examine the guns.....keep your fingers crossed

·
Registered
156 Posts
Did Colt e-mail you with a tracking number for that return shipment? I'm curious as I've got one of my Pythons at Colt right now getting refurbed and I want to be *here* when it ships back to me. Hope everything worked out for you ok this time.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No they (Colt) didn't notify me at all that they were shipping anything back in any way. All of a sudden one day there is a tag on our door from Fed Ex saying "sorry we missed you."

I got out of town and called 1800 go fed ex and it said it was from CMC. All I had a was a tag from Fed Ex and a "Door Tag" number

·
Registered
141 Posts
I've had no problem having Colt Customer Service give me a telephone call advising when a gun is being shipped back to me. That way, I (or another individual 21 yrs or older) can be available for delivery.

Greg

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Now I am offically, TICKED!!!!!!!!!!! I just got the guns back in my possession. They Python action as tight as when I sent it back. The Detective Special sight is still off. The Detective Special still has that sharp stop in the stacking on DA. The only thing they did do was fix the timing on the SA on the DS.....but they managed to mess that up too. The cylinder locks into place before the hammer even locks back to full cock in SA almost like a S&W.....BUT the problem is that once the hammer is locked back cocked and you squeeze the trigger while holding the hammer with thumb or thumb and index finger, it is hanging on something when you let the hammer down. I hate to think what it's doing when you just pull the trigger in SA. It will go all the way through if you work with it and if you snap it, but it is definately hanging on something.

They didn't reimburse me for sending it back as I can see, all they did was include copies of the notes that they sent me originally pointing out each problem (and apparently failing to fix it) AND included some paper target with shots fired just above the bullseye (don't know what that's supposed to show)

What do you gunsmiths say to this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am ready to call Colt and start screaming at them....but I'll have to wait until Monday since they are closed (which is good for both them and me because I will have a chance to cool off) In a nutshell, all they managed to do was make an even bigger mess

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,806 Posts
From the same rant on the other forum:
======================================
Colt's often seem to hang up if you lower the hammer manually.
Both of my personally tuned Pythons seem to do this when manually lowered.

This is usually a sign of a new action or a newly worked-on action.

After 50 rounds or so the action should seat. Even after seating, the hammer may still seem to be contacting something.
When you pull the trigger and let the hammer drop as it should, it won't.
This is just something that occasionally happens with Colt's, but it has no effect on hammer drop when shooting.

Before getting too far ahead with the Detective Special sights, SHOOT the gun for targeting.

If you still think things aren't right, and a customer SHOULD think things are OK, go to the 1911 forum and contact member Mark1648. He's a Colt employee in charge of scheduling and will help you get things straightened out:
http://www.1911forum.com/forums/

http://www.1911forum.com/forums/sendmessage.php?do=mailmember&u=10042

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
[ QUOTE ]

What do you gunsmiths say to this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am ready to call Colt and start screaming at them....

[/ QUOTE ]
ok, you asked for my opinion... go back to the top of this thread and read my FIRST reply to you.... some people only listen to what they want to hear. it would be impossible for colt to repair something that isn`t broken.why would colt pay shipping when it didn`t need shipped?? the test target is proof the bbl was aligned, since you didnt test fire the gun colt did it for you. just because something doesn`t function as you think it should doesn`t mean there is a problem.i will quote you a verse from proverbs: even a fool when he holdth his tounge is considered wise. my opinion and worth what you paid for it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

1 - 20 of 32 Posts