Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just picked up a new Cobra. I like it. Question I have is:
A one year warranty? Is Colt serious? S&W offers a lifetime warranty. For that matter so does Taurus. Word has it Kel Tec has a lifetime warranty, Henry Rifles does.

Hi Point if you can believe it has a lifetime warranty and great customer service (practicemakes perfect?). Ruger’s is the best of all. NO IMPLIED WARRANTY. However, Ruger will fix whatever (within reason) breaks...forever.
Is the “one year” delivered with a wink and nudge? Or are those guys serious??

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Just picked up a new Cobra. I like it. Question I have is:
A one year warranty? Is Colt serious? S&W offers a lifetime warranty. For that matter so does Taurus. Word has it Kel Tec has a lifetime warranty, Henry Rifles does.

Hi Point if you can believe it has a lifetime warranty and great customer service (practicemakes perfect?). Ruger’s is the best of all. NO IMPLIED WARRANTY. However, Ruger will fix whatever (within reason) breaks...forever.
Is the “one year” delivered with a wink and nudge? Or are those guys serious??
North American Arms has a lifetime warranty also. Some companies have confidence in their products, others do not.

·
Premium Member
619 Posts
Is the "one year warranty" across the board for all of Colt's products -- or just on the
new Cobra.

I think their management really failed in making them the only major gun
manufacturer who does not stand behind their products.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,613 Posts
A one year warranty or no stated time warranty has long been the industry standard, and is the standard for virtually all manufactured goods.
Many companies simply refer to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, and offer no expressed warranty. That's what Colt did for many years.
For a short time Colt offered a 10 year warranty.

If you look into it, I think you'll find that most gun companies don't offer a lifetime warranty.

Some companies offer a lifetime warranty, but in some cases actually using the warranty is another case. Example is the Taurus lifetime warranty and the MANY cases of people unable to get the company to actually deliver.

·
Registered
564 Posts
According to KBB the average New car price in 2017 is $33,560.
And the average warranty is 3 years/36,000 miles.

Let me try to get my head around this...

Theres worry over a 1-year warranty on a $800 gun?

Comparing auto warranties to gun warranties is a false equivalence. And assuming that because you perceive those auto warranties to be poor means that gun warranties should also be poor is a logical fallacy. Compare apples to apples and see how other gun companies warrant their products if you want apt comparisons. And in that light, Colt's warranty doesn't compete.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Compared to a car, how often does a solid chunk of metal with only 5-6 moving parts need warranty work after the first tryout period? Never, or not until 30 years of hard use or abuse.

That's why Colt is getting away from the old-school idea of a lifetime warranty. They don't want someone's grand kid that inherits a Cobra in 2047 to be demanding warrantied tuneups.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Had S&W Model 28 I carried for years as a duty weapon. Change of assignment required a change of sidearm. Put the Model 28 up for a while. After a few months I brought it out just to look it over-give it a wipedown. Imagine my surprise when I discovered the mainspring had snapped in two. Bad heat treating of the part was suspected. S&W never admitted anything. Just sent me a new part...under warranty.
Yes...they can break, and do on occasion.

·
Registered
10,820 Posts
Compared to a car, how often does a solid chunk of metal with only 5-6 moving parts need warranty work after the first tryout period? Never, or not until 30 years of hard use or abuse.

That's why Colt is getting away from the old-school idea of a lifetime warranty. They don't want someone's grand kid that inherits a Cobra in 2047 to be demanding warrantied tuneups.
You're assuming Colt will still be around by that point...or next year for that matter.

Reactions: saintclair and Olle

·
Registered
564 Posts

I understand why they are doing it. I think the point is that most gun companies have better warranties. Yes it costs them more money in warranty work, but they do it for a reason. It's positive goodwill to be known as a company that takes care of their customers. Colt is free to do what they think is in their best interests and their bottom line. They are a for-profit company after all. But as I mentioned before, when what they offer is below the industry standard, it's perfectly reasonable as a customer to question it.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
As "Zenas" stated above, I understand the One (1) year Warranty and why they do it, but I have question.......

What was Colt's Warranty on a handgun from 1851 thru the end of the 1890s? Did other Old West manufacturers like S&W, Merwin-Hulbert, etc. have warranties? If they had a lifetime warranty, whos lifetime did they mean; the original purchaser or the life of the firearm????

·
Premium Member
20,523 Posts
Ok here's one closer to the point: USFA SAA's.
Gorgeous guns, beautifully finished.
USFA is now a defunct company.

Guys are still getting top buck for the USFA guns...And these are contemporary SAAs.
Just out of curiosity, what was the USFA warranty? Maybe warranties should read, "For as long as we stay in business."

1 - 20 of 21 Posts