Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was making my rounds on the Internet. One of the things I often look for are pistol boxes. After finishing up my surfing I sat down and started watching some TV. Then I thought I didn’t see the fake box guy selling anything. so I went back and purposely look for him. not on GunBroker’s, auction arms or eBay. Not a trace! Does anybody have any insight? Are we rid of him!

·
Premium Member
4,194 Posts
He's probably visiting with his buddies over in China. Maybe coming up with more Colt items to fake...

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
I know you’re not supposed to wish ill will towards others, but………

·
Registered
6,398 Posts
Hmmmmm..........
Waddya know?
There is a guy who sells little display boxes that are clearly sold as ' mock-up' and are just cute little gift boxes tricked out and decorated to have some 'curb appeal'. They are inexpensive and resemble a pistol box.

·
Premium Member
5,465 Posts
Supply chain problems caused his conscience to be held up at customs, but he finally received it?

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Maybe unpopular but I like fake box guy. I bought a 1920's Police Positive Target that was so close to new that I wanted a box to go with it to complete the package. So I ordered one from him. They're really nice boxes but really, everyone knows they're fake. So why the hostility???
Kind of like a "fake" Rolex for example. Some love them some despise them. Takes all kinds lol.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Maybe unpopular but I like fake box guy. I bought a 1920's Police Positive Target that was so close to new that I wanted a box to go with it to complete the package. So I ordered one from him. They're really nice boxes but really, everyone knows they're fake. So why the hostility???
Not everyone knows they are fake and some sellers don’t say they are fake, see where I’m going with this?

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I have no info regarding the box guy, I've never understood why anyone would want reproduction boxes and documents. If it's not original what's the point? To each his own I guess.
The same reason reproduction Colt Patersons and reproduction Winchester 1866 rifles are manufactured. When the original is priced beyond the reach or unavailable to average Joe Collector, the repro will have to do. I like his boxes, just do not like his prices. Have a neat little Pocket Positive that i would like to have a correct looking box for but not at the price he wants, so for now it sits in a purple Crown Regal felt bag.

·
Premium Member
1,649 Posts
Kind of like a "fake" Rolex for example. Some love them some despise them. Takes all kinds lol.
Similar. I was wearing the real thing when I bought a fake Rolex Submariner at an antique store just for kicks but I knew it was fake because it was easy to spot. You're also not going to find a real Rolex for $60. Same applies here. You're not going to find a brand new 100yr old Colt box with all the papers and wax wrapping for $200. Yeah, the guy should be more forthcoming about his boxes but so what??? The fact remains, it was the only place to get a really nice reproduction box for such guns. Or any guns. Yet the busybodies here complained left and right about it, probably a slew of them reported the listings, now that resource is gone.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
It was mostly the way he advertised them. he did not say they were reproductions. He insinuated they were real. As for what they are, they are not bad. Many 99 percent guns are in 70 percent original boxes. Many have no box at all. I have no idea of the cost to have them made. Add in fees and everything else and the profit may not be as much as you think. I am not defending the guy but his products were decent if you knew what they were.

·
Premium Member
4,194 Posts
I can see wanting an "reproduction" box to store a Colt in the safe. I'd buy them all day long for $20 or $25 each, but NOT for the prices he charges. The wholesale on those things can't be more than $5 or $10 a pop...

Reactions: po18guy and smutt

·
Registered
12,600 Posts
When the boxes first came out a number of years ago they were advertised as reproduction boxes, and seems like they were $85 or so. I use the Robert's Arms Specialties boxes for storage, and thought about getting a couple for storage for some really nice condition commercial Colts, but never did. Later they started showing up a "original" boxes at $250.

It isn't hard to tell them from original, and simply someone preying on the inexperienced and uninformed.

·
Premium Member
4,194 Posts
Original 100% condition boxes are EXTREMELY rare but depending on the model/condition, original boxes in "good" condition sell for anywhere from $75 to $300 for most double action revolvers.

Reactions: Swamp Yankee

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Original 100% condition boxes are EXTREMELY rare but depending on the model/condition, original boxes in "good" condition sell for anywhere from $75 to $300 for most double action revolvers.
I’ve paid over $1,000 for original pre-WWII 1911 boxes for commercial .45 and .38 Super pistols. My sense is original boxes are 10%-20% of the gun value.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts