Colt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, new member here.

Already looking for answers! I have a Frontier Scout pistol that was my Dad's. I've had it for quite awhile and am not too sure when he got it.

The pistol is marked 1769-California Bicentennial-1969 on one side of the barrel, COLT PTFA MFG HARTFORD CT USA on the top and Colt single Action frontier Scout on the other side of the barrel. So far so good. I've done some research on these and all the ones I look at are gold plated with wooden grips. Mine is nickel plated with faux stag grips. The trigger guard is brass. There is some gold plating on the muzzle crown. The grips have a Colt medallian in the grips. Also the left frame has the Colt stamp.

The bad news is, no case or paper work. He shot it and I have too.

So I am here looking for any info on this pistol as to why it is not like other California Bicentennial's I see.

Thanks!

Rick

·
Premium Member
8,204 Posts
Buckspen is going to be your expert advice on the Scouts, however there are many other experts and someone can give you answers. I think you are wanting to know if your gun is original configuration and an approximate value. I can tell you that commemorative guns follow more closely to what blue book values indicate I think and alterations will affect value as it does with most all guns. Missing box or display box really hurts price value. However, if it shoots good and you like it and enjoy it, then you have a Colt and it's a nice gun.

·
Premium Member
4,644 Posts
What is the serial number of the revolver? It sounds to me like you have a gun that may have been made up from parts. I have never seen or heard of a brass framed Frontier Scout. The serial number should give us a clue to what it really is.

- - -Buckspen

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the welcome and the quick replies!

Not interested in selling as it was Dad's gun and a fine shooter ;).

Buckspen, I was thinking the same thing in that it may have been a built up gun. If it is someone did a bang up job! The nickel finish is strong with some freckling mostly on the barrel.

You will have to pardon my ignorance, I don't see an obvious SN. Would it be inside the frame?

Rick

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, I'll have another look. I am starting to believe this gun is a composite. Is there a possibility that the pistols were nickel plated under the gold? There is the hint of gold in the stamped letters. The letters are sharp with no evidence of mechanical buffing sanding etc. If so how would someone remove the gold plating, leaving the nickel? Another difference is the cylinder isn't fluted like my searched examples.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Welcome to the forum Rick. Good to have you aboard.... Not quite sure just what you have... It would sure help if you can get some photos posted. Be a lot easier to figure out what you have..

Tom

·
Registered
758 Posts
They are a little dark, but I can make out the brass trigger guard. Can you yake some pics in better lighting? Also, can you post the serial number as buckspen suggested. It would help...

Tom

·
Premium Member
4,644 Posts
Well, that's a weird one. Grips are from a '62 Frontier Scout. The barrel is from the California commemorative and I don't know where the brass grip frame came from. I wonder if it could be gold plated?

The unfluted cylinder is also probably from another Colt commemorative revolver.

As stated by other members earlier, the serial number should be on the bottom of the gun's frame (receiver) just in front of the end of the trigger guard. The serial number is the key. It will tell you the original source of the basic revolver frame.

Some nickel plating was done over copper plating. This is the reason for some old nickel plated guns having a yellowish look. I don't believe the Scouts were done this way, though.

- - - -Buckspen

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.