Colt Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm following up on a thread asking for advice for open carry. I appreciated everyone's opinions on what carries well, or even if open carry is a good idea to begin with! I decided on a Colt Officers ACP in stainless, and now that I have it in hand I wanted to post a few pictures. I think it will fill its purpose very well! I like that it came with the crimson trace grips (which work well) but I am also considering getting some in faux ivory or stag/bone...that's just a really nice look with the polished metal:) The pistol isn't perfect or pristine, but I am happy with it and looking forward to shooting her!

As some pointed out, this was probably polished by someone other than colt. It probably isn't up to their bright stainless, but I think it looks very nice:) Besides the CT grips, it has a front night sight (faint), and forum members mentioned the beavertail and trigger have been replaced.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I had an OACP and it was a reliable pistol. I never felt I achieved parity with a GM or CC with it though.

My state will have open carry in January. I will not consider it for me personally. I once resided in an open carry state. Never did open carry. I do not personally care for easy off and on holsters. I do not like the thought of going into prohibited places with an empty holster. It means I left my gun somewhere; probably in the car. Rightly or wrongly, I believe I would make some non-gun folks uneasy. I believe in concealed carry.

·
Registered
10,208 Posts
I never saw any sense in upsetting the natives, when it was just as easy to blend in quietly and let folks think I wasn't armed.

To 'me' open carry is posturing, and far too many folks get themselves all in a lather whenever they see a weapon on someone's hip who's not a cop that they get the vapors.

Wouldn't want that on my conscience...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I know folks could go on for hours about the pros and cons of open carry. I was hoping to avoid that and mainly just hear opinions on the gun and maybe advice for maintenance. I've already gotten some good info on replacement parts. Thanks!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Great looker. Your new purchase will serve you well for carry. Just remember, that daily carry, open or concealed, comes with a huge responsibility on you part. Make sure you take at least one defensive arms course and hours of practice at the range, using your firearm to defend yourself or others. Best course of action in daily carry is to retreat first if at all possible. With that said, I firmly believe that concealed carry is the best defense. Why let the threat know you have the ability to defend yourself. You always want the element of surprise. Also, in today's atmosphere why, cause people to panic, have the police notified and possible confrontation with law enforcement. My state allows open carry, however i chose to carry concealed as I am more comfortable that why. Which ever way you decided, practice, practice and when you are done, practice one more time. Drawing you firearm, needs to be as natural as possible, especially when the Adrenalin kicks in. Enjoy your new firearm and stay safe.

·
Registered
10,208 Posts
It's stainless - maintenance is close to minimal.

It's high-polish - your biggest worry will be maintaining the 'pretty' - that's why so many carry a 'matte' finish when their piece is exposed.

It's heavy - buy a 'good' belt when you buy 'good' leather - don't decide to save money.

The grips take the beating - before you buy pretty ones, spend the money on more practice ammunition.

If the piece works for 'you' - then it works for 'you' - period.

If it does or doesn't for someone else, or if he requires all manner of bells and whistles on his - that's 'his' worry or the way he feels he needs it to be, and not yours, so as long as yours functions well with the ammunition selected, then by all means carry it - but only do so after you've taken the requisite classes and completely understand what happens after the hammer drops - even on a shooting later deemed completely justified.

It can well and truly become the 'gift that keeps on giving'...

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
I never saw any sense in upsetting the natives, when it was just as easy to blend in quietly and let folks think I wasn't armed.

To 'me' open carry is posturing, and far too many folks get themselves all in a lather whenever they see a weapon on someone's hip who's not a cop that they get the vapors.

Wouldn't want that on my conscience...

Dogface i agree with you 100% when people see someone with a gun out in the open my self included you immediately draw attention and not in a good way. It scares the Sh*% out of people and for good reason ,with all the craziness people see on the news. Best to carry concealed keeps everyone happy.... why draw attention to yourself and avoid a potential problem. You might be greeted by a shoot first and ask questions later kind of guy.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I don't carry the Officers models I have but when I field strip them I take the whole top off the pistol keeping my thumb in the right place to retain the springs. Of course there are aftermarket parts that may change the way you field strip it if you install them.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
I like your OACP, Ben. I have one that I've owned for 24 years. It has only a black matte finish and has sent thousands of rounds downrange over the years with nary a hiccup. Makes a nice carry weapon also. I'm happy and I know you will be, too.

Reactions: benalpha

·
Registered
339 Posts
You're in a movie theater, seated about half-way up, with a handgun legally carried under your coat. Just after the endless "trailers" begin, two guys, swarthy men of indeterminate ethnicity, enter, with AKs slung across their backs and pistols on their hips. Just exactly WHAT do you think is happening.

Open carry has its place, but not in the ones the OC advocates are forcing. (Note: I'd shoot you.)

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
It has been mentioned in this thread "open carry" can make people uneasy and stimulate activities that are probably not the best for everyone concerned. My other issue with "open carry" is everyone knows that you are armed. If I was planning on doing something I would know exactly who I was going to engage first. The guy with the exposed gun! I may be paranoid but I am always scanning the room and looking for signs of people possibly packing a weapon. I want to know should something go sideways who I need to worry about. I see people all the time with the tell tale clip on the their pants pocket of a knife. Now granted that does not mean that every person who has a clip exposed is a threat. But, if you entered into an altercation with said person, knowing the potential is there might be something to think about as you approach the situation.
In our church a while ago, I observed a gentleman in line waiting for Communion. I saw that he was wearing an "Alien Gear" type of holster. You could not see the weapon, but I knew what the holster was. He was with his wife and kids, and when I checked it turns out he was an FBI agent. I introduced myself after service, and we both laughed when I asked him "so what are you packing"? This incident had a happy outcome as we became friends. He is a new member and was happy to meet another LEO in the congregation. I was glad to know that there was someone else in church other than me armed, should God forbid an incident happened. I know I have at least one other professional in the pews with me. Again JMHO. Peace.

·
Registered
98 Posts
benalpha,
Nice pistol ! As most of the comments you have received about Open Carry are in line with mine (semi-retired LEO). I would second Dogface's comments about quality leather, and suggest that if the pistol is used, you might change out the recoil and firing pin springs just to know where their "life cycle" is at. I really like Wolfe Springs and recommend them highly. Congrats on a great pistol ! Practice,practice,practice ;)
Coltaholic

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Dogface i agree with you 100% when people see someone with a gun out in the open my self included you immediately draw attention and not in a good way. It scares the Sh*% out of people and for good reason ,with all the craziness people see on the news. Best to carry concealed keeps everyone happy.... why draw attention to yourself and avoid a potential problem. You might be greeted by a shoot first and ask questions later kind of guy.
Not to mention the fact that Law Enforcement Officers themselves, (arriving on a crime scene), might possibly mistake you for the "bad guy" in the situation! In such a scenario, they don't often have time to request to see your "permit" to carry, open OR concealed! ;)

nowinca

1 - 14 of 14 Posts