7,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #61 (Edited)

·
Registered
164 Posts
The Gas Trap Garand by Billy Pyle
All of Scott Duff's books on the M1 Garand
Scouts, Peacemakers and New Frontiers in .22 cal. by Don Wilkerson
The Peacemaker and its Rivals by John Parsons (It's dated 1950)

·
Registered
518 Posts
I've read through the list and although I saw the man's name mentioned once, but I don't think anybody has formally mentioned his seminal work titled "Flayderman's guide to antique American firearms". The 9th edition was published in 2007 and of course Mr. Flayderman passed away in 2013, so there probably won't be any more editions. However, with over 4000 American made collectable antique firearms and their variants described in detail, you will not find more information in one single compendium.

Along with concise histories of each maker, one will find a description of each firearm, including variants, made by Colt, Winchester, Marlin, Smith & Wesson, Sharps, Volcanic, Ethan Allen, Remington, Iver Johnson, H & R, Merwin & Hulbert, Stevens, Quackenbush, etc.--plus many well known early makers of Pennsylvania, Kentucky, and Tennessee rifles or pistols, mountain and plains half stocks, not to mention complete sections on all US martial pistols and rifles--plus variants made by both private contract and government arsenals----the lists go on and on. Since this book is devoted to antique firearms, it covers most, if not all, models made up until about the end of WWI or around 1918.

It does include grading and prices, which of course is over a decade old, but with 800 pages ---just the sheer amount of information on markings, variants, and related history for so many different arms is staggering.

Although the Blue Books of gun values will give you an approximation of current values it simply cannot give one the technical detail on such a wide variety of collectable firearms as the Flayderman guide will.

Unfortunately the cost of used copies of 9th edition are going up too since it is becoming scarcer. I found a nice like new copy on eBay back in January of last year for $16 including shipping. I looked today and couldn't find any of that edition for less than $98. Some sellers were asking $150 to $200. It was the same on Amazon---although if you have a Kindle, there is a $22 version available.

However, one can alternatively look for an earlier edition like the 6th,7th, or 8th and find much better prices. Like all such books, the information in the earlier editions are not going to be that different, except for the price ranges. However, as already mentioned, the dated prices is minor factor when weighed against all the other data contained.

Of course it would be nice to have a vast library for every gun we are interested in--or even those we may have a passing interest in. However, until one reaches that point, they probably can't do any better than to pick up one of the Flayderman antique guide books. In just one book, you should find more than enough info to identify and/or learn about just about any antique firearm made in America that you may encounter from a Remington cane gun to a repeating harmonica gun made by John M. Browning's father-Jonathan Browning

Cheers

·
Registered
274 Posts
Did anyone mention ,
The Colt Model 1860 Army Revolver by Charles Pate or
U.S. Military Arms Inspector Marks by Anthony C. Daum and Charles Pate

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
just finished "Blood Meridian"....Cormac McCarthy
It contains about every descriptive adjective in the English language as well as a lot of Spanish.
Brutal. Parental guidance advised

·
Registered
274 Posts
Just finished reading "Colt's Double - Action Revolver Model of 1878 . By Don Wilkerson . I thought the book was very informative on the model 1878 . A lot of great examples were finely pictured . The reading of the book started to drag for me .In my opinion the book could have been shortened by 1/3 . I believe in recap of a subject helps in the retention of knowledge . Repeating yourself 3 times is Overkill and got boring . On the bright side , this book helped me fall asleep many a night. But I want to stress the information in this book is invaluable and thank Mr. Wilkerson for his efforts.

61 - 67 of 67 Posts