Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just spit ballin’ here but have we ever had any sort of shooting competition via photo submissions here on the forum? Obviously it would necessitate the “Honor System” in its purest sense and given many folks limited access to proper facilities/ranges we’d be restricted to paper/bullseye targets but surely we could draft up some categories and parameters to keep things both fair and interesting. I don’t know, might be kinda fun and there’s nothing at stake but bragging rights. Who’s in?

·
Registered
771 Posts
Sure. Why not?
Can't watch racing or sports.
Used to shoot .22LR honor system.
No optics and turned in a target every week. Just bragging rights.

Honor system.
25 yard pistol target with choice of 1911 or Single Action in .45 caliber no optics, shot offhand/ no benchrest?

·
Registered
6,610 Posts
Asked and answered already. If you haven't done better, fishing is still a good sport :)

Don't know him. Never seen him shoot. But no one here has ever posted anything even remotely close to Cholla's many handgun targets. That is good shooting by any standard. If you have shot anything close to those kind of groups, shot with a similar short barrel SAA, post it up and impress us all!

If you guys aren't aware, there are any number of World, National, State and Regional champions posting here from several of the handgun sports. Yep, no chit, true story!

Cholla said:
Cholla said:

So far have resisted the urge to buy a rifle so chambered, but we just payed off the house, so I gotta figure out something to do with all the extra money!

Cholla
Cholla said:

Sometimes I still cry.....

Cholla

·
Registered
6,610 Posts
I don't shoot much past 15 yards these days. This was the best I could do with a stock BP frame Uberti (the tiny V notch sight vesion) late summer of '19. My challenge was to see how I stacked up to what Cholla was doing. Steel was @ 63 measured yards on my range. 12 there for sure...more likely 18. 18 would make it at least 1 and may be 2 clean misses on that plate. Game over for me.

·
Registered
6,610 Posts
Lots of leeway here even between fixed sighted SAA guns.

How about some rules?

Only SAA Colt style guns, fixed notch or V sights only. Uberti/Colt USFA/Pietta/Standard and clones. Any center fire caliber. Barrel length must be stated. BP or smokeless must be started.

1 shot on each red dot target. Standing, Off hand. (one or both hands) 15 yards. I suspect you'd draw more shooters and more fun with a smaller target and closer than 25 yards. All five rounds must be shot in under one minute.

Here is a target.

http://mytargets.com/Target31.pdf

Shoot it as much as you want in the week. Post photo of only your best target (with gun and ammo). Post score tally for group. Start over next week and use a different printable target?

Just some ideas to ounce around...…

Finger it out and we can start shooting tomorrow :)

·
Registered
943 Posts
I really like the target and course of fire Cozmo proposed. Agree with Rick on keeping it open - I would suggest any open sighted Colt handgun. If people feel the need, we can create categories based on rimfire/centerfire or fixed/target sights but, personally, given the course of fire, drawing those lines doesn’t seem meaningful.

We are shooting for fun to show off our shooting talents with whatever Colt we think we shoot best. You pick the Colt and go shoot it. Let’s see what you can do.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
So 15yds with any factory sighted Colt handgun fired one or two hand grip unsupported. Centerfire or rimfire. One shot per bull. Scoring 10 for red bull, then 9 ring, 8 and 7. Max score of 50. Would that work?

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think Coz’s format equalizes the playing field as much as can be expected for something this “unofficial”.
I contend that we should probably categorize the handgun selection to some extent, if not by barrel length then certainly by type. Maybe Single Action, Double Action and 1911? Perhaps even compact Colt autoloaders though I don’t know if many hammerless owners would consider them precision shooting instruments?
I’ll also suggest that if we don’t stipulate barrel length, sights, or action modification restrictions for each category, the shooter should be required to post an image of the gun and info on the pertinent specs.
And maybe we can all agree on this one: NO OPTICS for the handgun categories!

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I hurt my foot and can't get out but soon as it heals up I am in for a contest. Might I suggest the target be a playing card at 15 yards, 6 shots from a two handed hold....

·
Administrator
6,983 Posts
I think Coz’s format equalizes the playing field as much as can be expected for something this “unofficial”.
I contend that we should probably categorize the handgun selection to some extent, if not by barrel length then certainly by type. Maybe Single Action, Double Action and 1911? Perhaps even compact Colt autoloaders though I don’t know if many hammerless owners would consider them precision shooting instruments?
I’ll also suggest that if we don’t stipulate barrel length, sights, or action modification restrictions for each category, the shooter should be required to post an image of the gun and info on the pertinent specs.
And maybe we can all agree on this one: NO OPTICS for the handgun categories!
Makes good sense . Keep it simple and fun .

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
I don't have a SAA right now, just an original Bisley that shoots about 6" high and right. I would do this if you can allow DA colts with adjustable sights.

I'd prefer 25 yards, 5 shot groups. Classic scoring. But I guess 1 shot on each of 5 targets is about the same thing (hard to measure "group size" though).

No speed games. We're appraising accuracy, not defensive shooting.

·
Registered
6,610 Posts
Belly up boys :) Looks like we have the OP's permission to get started. Let's see some targets!

I got two excuses may be three. Haven't shot since last summer. It's a small target and a long ways :) I am old. So make it four.

I shot the target 4 times this morning. First 6 to get warmed up a bit is on the left. Shot 5 on the rest of them. 3rd target, but not the last...which was worse yet, is on the right. With some practice may be I can improve some.

Gun is a factory Uberti 4 click SAA in 32-20. Sights are factory post and square notch. Load is HP38 and a 115 poly coated lead. 15 measured yards, 2 hand standing, outdoors on my range, 10am, sunny, no wind, 42 degrees. Wife, dogs and horses are whitness :)

·
Registered
6,610 Posts
Rick Bowles said:
I not sure limiting the competition to single actions only will appeal to the most members. Suppose there were three gun stages, single action, any center fire and of course rim fire......
How about just shoot the target that was linked @ 15 yards, 5 times, with what ever you have, any handgun, any sights, any ammo. Just post a photo of gun, target and ammo and give the details?

1 - 20 of 77 Posts