Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Colt Forum to Close? Say It Ain\'t So!!

Guys: Take a look at moderator Parabellum's post in the Lounge. It seems that the Forum owners are moving to a new server and won't be taking the Colt Forum along. Jeez Louise. This Revolver Forum was just developing some gravity. I know of no better place on the web to go for info on Colt revolvers, and almost to a man the members here have been gentlemen, enthusiastic about Colt wheelguns and most helpful. I would really hate to see it go. Parabellum says it is for sale. I don't know anything about running a Forum on the web. Does anyone else here have the credentials and the willingness to do so? Ideas??

Charlie Flick

·
Registered
794 Posts
Re: Colt Forum to Close? Say It Ain\'t So!!

I haven't got a clue Charlie. I'm just a dumb user!

I suspect that the 1st order of business would be to find another host server. Unless some one has their own server for use, we'd have to contract out on someone else's server. Basically renting disk space and access. Depending on expected traffic, bandwidth may be a consideration. There may be system and network design considerations.

As far as the data files he mentions, I guess they would have to be ported over to the new server and we'd need a new url pointed to the new server. I guess that may mean a registered new domain name too. Who knows what else may be involved!

But I am honestly just taking a guess. I certainly do not possess the wherewithal nor do I know anyone that does this sort of thing. Maybe moderator Parabellum could highlight what is involved. A "Big Picture" overview.

Any one else got any ideas?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts

I know Parabellum probably has his hands full if with nothing else then handling the giant S&W forum. I don't expect him to take time to teach us tricks, but if he could just point to sources for us to explore then we may be able to do something. I will try and contact some people I know that may shed a little light on this subject for us.

·
Registered
63 Posts

you might want to contact the owner of Gunboards.com Tuco has a number of gun forum on his website. Good luck. Elmer.

------------------
Got any carbines?

·
Registered
153 Posts

This is a great forum with a lot of information and knowledgeable people but it just doesn't see any activity. For the life of me I can't figure why there isn't more activity on here. At present I login once a week and usually only find a few new topics in the revolver section.

·
Registered
24 Posts

Gentlemen,

I have a website at www.thesixgunjournal.com and we recently added a discussion board. It was created to provide a "shelter" for just such a disaster. I have belonged to several gunboards over the years, that crashed or simply broke up due to disagreements.

It's nothing fancy, but you are welcome to gather here.
http://pub18.bravenet.com/forum/1535330553

If it picks up speed, we will look at posting images, etc. But you do have somewhere to meet in the meanwhile.

[This message has been edited by Sarge (edited 10-07-2004).]

·
Registered
1,064 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>could the S&W forum add a section for colts?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
That doesn't seem fair to those folks over there. Neither does it seem right to try to move in with the Ruger or Taurus folks.
Pistolsmith.com has a page set aside for Colt people.

·
Registered
153 Posts

Folks, I've inquired about taking it over. I hate to see it die because I've gotten a lot of info from all of you. So we'll see what happens, I haven't gotten an answer back yet.

And I wouldn't change a thing.

·
Administrator
7,045 Posts

What do you think the estimated monthly cost of operation would be ?
Thanks

·
Registered
254 Posts

My wife now pays $3 a month to help keep her favorite board open, I would do the same

·
Registered
153 Posts

Sounds about right, a friend of mind pays
$ 50. per year for his site and it's a big one that will do just about anything.
IP

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kennedy:
My wife now pays $3 a month to help keep her favorite board open, I would do the same<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
15 Posts

i have a board for savage rifles running on my server...i'm getting no traffic so if enough people are interested i can just change that over to a colt forum.
http://kotonk.com/savagetalk

if anyone is interested, email me:

[email protected]

if i get at least 100 bites i can make the swtich.

i'll also need a couple moderators...if you're interested in being a moderator please state that in your email....experienced moderators only. you need to list boards you moderate so i can review your level headedness.

-kotonk

·
Registered
265 Posts

kotonk,

That's a nice offer. I'd join a new Colt Forum but I'd hate to see this shut down,

John

·
Registered
689 Posts

Hey Colt Shooters

I am a Rookie to the Forum yet have identified an item that requires addressing (its Discontinunance)...

That is - Who is willing to take the ball and run with it???

We are identifing the facts... (we will miss the forum, wee offer assistance, etc.) yet we lack a leader...

I (like most) do not have the skills... I do however offer my assistance (as do many others) to the "One" that is willing to go for it...

·
Registered
153 Posts

I inquired about taking the forum over but have yet to hear anything back.

Hopefully it isn't just going to close.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Joed: I, too, have made inquires of our moderator Parabellum and am awaiting his response. I am sure he is very busy right now with the efforts to get the Smith Forum changed over. I am also sure he won't take any precipitous action like closing the Forum here down without first allowing us to explore other alternatives. I hope that with all of the positive expressions made so far we can get something workable done and salvage what I regard as a great resource.

Charlie

·
Registered
153 Posts

Charlie, I would hate to see this forum die. So much so that I've been in contact with a friend that runs another forum. He offered his help in setting things up and went over what it would cost plus suggestions.

So we'll see what happens.

·
Registered
48 Posts

greybeard outdoors has everything from soup to nuts, it even has a prayer post section.. it is very large gun list with many topics, and i think it would be the best move for the colt forum, with many other shooters already on greaybeard stopping in to see what is going on.. it would probably double your posts.. you could pick your moderator maybe and not reallychange the list that much.. dave...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts