Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Re: Colt Frontier Scout 62

Welcome to the Forum.

The serial number on the Scouts is underneath the cylinder frame, directly in front of the trigger guard (grip frame)

The early ones I seem to remember had some kind of 'phony' (fake) stag with a medallion. I have seen walnuts, with and with out any medallion and also black plastic grips, with the 'rampant pony' embossed in the molded grip. These early ones were very inexpensive to compete with the Ruger Single Sixes that were already on the market. Colt even tried a few different 'alloys' to lessen the cost too. The early ones were 'single cylinder' guns by the way.

I have seen some guns years ago , that were NOT serial numbered, but they were "removed" (milled down/off) and being an alloy , you would NOT spot the "work". The blued alloy(anodized actually) would have to be redone to cover up any removal, so would tend to be easier to spot.
Yes, if one had to, the numbers can "raised" (brought back)
the 'feds' do it often if they get the gun and it was used in the commision of a crime. Not many people stick up a Lawson store with .22 cal Frontier Scout six -shooter though

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Re: Colt Frontier Scout 62

Yep, apparently (from BOCFA) the frames were "zamac", a combination of zinc, antimony, magnesium, aluminum and cobalt. Stocks were staglite or walnut with nickel Colt medallions. I have to hit the books for this (not personal experience like Dant) but HTH. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
And welcome to the forum.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts