Colt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
I have a nickle like that, different grips. When you go to shoot it I would take something to blacken the front sight. I took mine out on a bright day and needed it. I couldn't hit with that shiny sight.

·
Premium Member
7,824 Posts
I like it.... congratulations. I bought up a nickel Scout collection a couple of years ago. K series it's referred to by Colt's.
Serial start with K. Most of the series came originally with wood grips. I have one nickel Scout set with the faux pearl stocks. I think it was a popular aftermarket upgrade because they do look really slick with those pearly whites.

I haven't converted my Scout Photobucket photos over to Imgur yet to do some shameless show offs, but their some of my favorite Colts.

Thanks for posting yours.

·
Premium Member
4,411 Posts
The nickel Scouts and the '62 Scouts were different. Nickel was all nickel plated with plain walnut stocks and "K" in the serial number. The '62 Scouts were "Midnight Blue" finish, with "Staglite" imitation stag stocks and had "P" in the serial number. '62 Scouts were also marked "'62" on the left side of the barrel.

The material the guns were made of were the same (steel and Zamac alloy) but the finishes were very different.

- - - - Buckspen

·
Registered
22 Posts
I got a 1958-vintage gun in excellent condition for my birthday- fantastic little gun and very accurate! Congratulations.

·
Premium Member
7,824 Posts
I need to stay off of this site. I didn't know they made nickel scouts. Dang, now I have to go find one to buy because that picture is just awesome! thanks for sharing.
I haven't checked the latest going rate, but just a couple of years ago the average cost was about $750 up to about $1k average cost. Depending upon condition and extras, box condition, etc.
seems like all Colts, including the Nickel Scouts, are not sitting around the local shop waiting to be bought anymore.

·
Banned
318 Posts
I really need to put a nickel Scout on my wish list.
Something like this?

1968 Colt frontier Scout K Series (1280x719).jpg

K Series (1968 build) bought off a gentleman some years ago that was selling his friend's firearm collection (estate sale as his friend had passed). Came with the locking wooden box (no key) and I believe some paperwork, maybe one pamphlet but wasn't totally complete. The seller was an older gentleman that I haven't seen since at shows but his contention was unfired outside of factory and it's condition warrants that. Still unfired outside of factory and I have not cycled the action since purchase. I do put on my cotton gloves and inspect on a regular basis, still as beautiful as the day I bought her. :). According to my notes I laid out 5 Benjamins in 2011.

J.

·
Premium Member
4,411 Posts
I recently bought this pair. They are both .22 Magnum and Paul S. at Colt Archives says they were shipped as a set of two guns in the case. The serial numbers are not consecutive, but are two numbers apart. This the very FIRST pair of verified .22 Magnum Frontier Scouts I have even seen. They are not unfired, but condition is very nice.
- -Buckspen
K18696&8ka.JPG

·
Premium Member
1,081 Posts
Something about those Red Lined Colt Cases and the Nickel/Walnut Combo that looks as good as it did in those early Colt Ads years ago. Really nice Colt Scouts, Guys. Anybody have a Nickel Cased Scout and Buntline Combo? Jackson

·
Premium Member
4,411 Posts
Yes, I have Frontier Scout/Buntline combo sets. And, before you ask, I also have double Buntline Scout sets. Here is an example of each.
K15706-549k2.JPG K7139&399k2.JPG
Both letter as having been shipped from the factory as sets.
Colt actually made ten different sets of nickel Scouts. There were Frontier Scouts where one gun was .22 LR and one gun was .22 Magnum (this is the most common); also where both guns were .22 LR and both guns were .22 Magnum. Buntline Scout sets were done the same way. The combination sets (one Frontier Scout and one Buntline Scout) were shipped in every combination (both .22 LR or both .22 Magnum; also where the FS was .22 LR and BS was .22 Mag and were the FS was .22 Mag and the BS was .22 LR.).
Until recently, I had examples of only eight of the different sets. With the acquisition of the double .22 Magnum Frontier Scout set, I have only one left to find and that is the combination set with a .22 Magnum Frontier Scout and a .22 LR Buntline Scout.
Interestingly, Don Wilkerson* reported that Colt also made all of these sets in the P series, the '62 Scouts. The '62 sets are much harder to find than the nickel sets. I only have four of the possible ten sets of the '62s.
* = "Colt Scouts Peacemakers and New Frontiers in .22 Caliber" by Don Wilkerson (Walsworth Publishing Co., 1993). This very informative little book is still available from Carol Wilkerson at Scouts, Peacemakers, and New Frontiers in .22 Caliber | Carol K Wilkerson

- - - Buckspen

1 - 19 of 19 Posts