Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently inherited a Colt Frontier Six. Serial number is 135469. One website stated that this serial number indicated manufacture in 1890. The finish is marred in a few places. The grips are well worn. The barrel is not pitted. The gun's finish is less than 90%. I am interested in selling the piece and I need a ballpark figure for it's value. I was advised on post on this forum.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
No disrespect but:

Pictures say more then a thousand words...

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Cfss

I recently inherited a Colt Frontier Six. Serial number is 135469. One website stated that this serial number indicated manufacture in 1890. The finish is marred in a few places. The grips are well worn. The barrel is not pitted. The gun's finish is less than 90%. I am interested in selling the piece and I need a ballpark figure for it's value. I was advised on post on this forum.
Sounds like you have a nice gun. I'll 2nd the opinion that the only way to get serious interest is multiple pictures, from every angle and showing all markings. It will be worth your trouble.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I recently inherited a Colt Frontier Six. Serial number is 135469. One website stated that this serial number indicated manufacture in 1890..
Yes, depending on the reference book/site it will date your gun to 1889 or 1890. Its serial number is near a transition point, so only a factory letter will actually identify its date of manufacture.

As others have mentioned; with clear, high resolution pictures of all external markings and features of the Single Action we should be able to give you a reasonable estimate of its value and authenticity.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Unfortunately, your Colt has been re-blued, including the frame that was once case colored, and has gone through a rather aggressive buffing job. Based on the front sight it looks like the barrel is probably an original 4 ¾ inch barrel; is the address on top of the barrel 1 or 2 lines? If it is chambered in 44-40, is the "COLT FRONTIER SIX SHOOTER" stamp on the left side of the barrel still readable, I can't really tell?

Honestly, if the right person came along, you might get $700-$1000 for it because the parts all look original, from what I can see. It would have little to no collector interest, other than the original Eagle Grips on the gun, even though they are pretty worn, or if someone wanted a low cost example of a Single Action that has the Black Powder configuration.

The only thing that would help the value is if it had an interesting documented provenance or it was originally shipped to a special location.

What I find interesting is the “K” stamp on the trigger guard frame just in front of the bow. That inspector mark is usually found on 1890 and 1891 Cavalry Model revolvers.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Grantf, the only thing I can add is that your gun is inherited & I'd think it's of sentimental value to you. I'd leave it as is because of that & if I shot it it'd be with Black Powder because Colt didn't warrent their guns for smokeless till after serial # 192,000, As an inheritenance it'd be worth a lot me just because of that. Thanks Frank

PS WELCOME TO THE FORUM!

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I would echo Frank V’s sentiments and should have stated such myself. Since it was an inheritance and probably has some family history I’d preserve it “as is” and continue to pass it down through the family.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.