Colt Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
A trip down memory lane for me. The first Colt SAA I owned was an 1881 FRONTIER SIX SHOOTER, Nickel with the barrel cut to 5 1/2". It had one piece walnut stocks and cost me $35. I think it was 1955. It was my constant companion for many years until I was drafted. I changed the barrel and cylinder to 45 ACP so I could shoot free ammo from post AMU. Hung on to the original parts until it was stolen around 1970. Great find Bibbyman. I'm still a fan of 44-40 and have 7 SAAs in that cal. Get yourself a sizer/luber and some SPG so you can load her with proper bullets or you can buy them.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Get yourself a sizer/luber and some SPG so you can load her with proper bullets or you can buy them.
Not a problem. I've had a Lyman 450 sizer/luber for nearly 50 years and it was second hand when I got it. I just changed out the die to 428 this morning. But I had a busy day today. Tomorrow and Thursday there are thunderstorms predicted so I'll get some lubed loaded and shot. I'm so old, I still have a stash of the original Javelina bullet lube.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Be sure it isn't a petroleum based lube as that is terrible with black. Check the throat diameter in your cylinder as they are usually very tight. .425 is normal from the factory and needs to be .429 or so. I have an expandable reamer set that I use. Perfectly understandable if you don't want to use anything on your original. Just don't expect terrific accuracy.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Not a problem. I've had a Lyman 450 sizer/luber for nearly 50 years and it was second hand when I got it. I just changed out the die to 428 this morning. But I had a busy day today. Tomorrow and Thursday there are thunderstorms predicted so I'll get some lubed loaded and shot. I'm so old, I still have a stash of the original Javelina bullet lube.
I used to use Javelina bullet lube,it was my favorite,that sure brought back some memories,I haven't read their name in many years.John Taffin & I have been sitting on an old stash of the black graphite Gunslick lube that came in the soft lead squeeze tubes for years which came out a little before the Javelina did.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I used to use Javelina bullet lube,it was my favorite,that sure brought back some memories,I haven't read their name in many years.John Taffin & I have been sitting on an old stash of the black graphite Gunslick lube that came in the soft lead squeeze tubes for years which came out a little before the Javelina did.
Back in the 70s, my brother-in-law and I shot and loaded a lot. Casting and lubing bullets was a given. He had an FFL. We bought Unique in 15 pound kegs and Javelina 12 (as I remember) sticks at a time and split it.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
I got out and shot 40 rounds of black powder loads through the old Colt. The loads were Grafs FFg with Lee 200g RF lubed with Javelina bullet lube. The old Javelina lube worked to my satisfaction. Clean-up with hot water like I always do was easy.

The way it was ment to look.

Colt FSS dirty March 2020.jpg

21 - 27 of 27 Posts