1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all (first post!),

Wondering if you can help me out.
I had a friend send me this email on this old Colt he found:

"My neighbor who is about 83 yrs old, used to live in Vegas, a few years back he found a Colt Frontier Six Shooter 44-40 in the desert in Kingman Arizona with a metal detector.
It is missing the extractor slide and also missing the cylinder, you can tell it has been weathered for some years,,,
Anywho the Serial # is 345722 that is still legible in three spots, there are no grips on it. Any feedback is greatly appreciated,
Does this need to be registered since it does not work?"

Would anyone be able to tell me how old the gun is from the serial number?
Thanks!

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
gun was made in 1923 if your serial is correct.while a nice find it would be more interesting had it been made in the 1870-80`s. normally i would not worry about it`s legal status but if you are in new york... who knows. any how welcome to the forum /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
6,828 Posts
The serial numbered frame is technically a firearm, despite missing parts. That being said, it is old enough to be considered a 'curio and relic' and doesn't require an FFL to transfer (I believe). The age should make things easier for you from a legal standpoint.

Regardless of the date of manufacture, finding a Single Action Army in the desert isn't something that is done everyday. Whatever your friend does with the old Colt, he will always have a neat story to tell.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts