Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone wants to trade a Colt Gold Cup to me for my sig tacops. I have not ever owned a colt is this a good deal. I am going to post some pics here. He said it was all original, it has no box. He said the condition was about 85% to 90%. What are you thoughts and is this a good deal? What would the value be on this and does it look to be original? Gun Trigger Starting pistol Shotgun Gun accessory Gun Firearm Trigger Shotgun Air gun Gun Firearm Trigger Shotgun Air gun Gun Firearm Starting pistol Trigger Airsoft gun Gun Electronic device Trigger

·
Registered
80 Posts
I own a '74 Gold Cup, I would take it over a Tacops (or most any other non-Colt 1911 for that matter) anyday.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, what do you think the value on this would be? I have 900 in my tacops am I breaking even? does this one look all original?

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Honestly if it is to be a utlitlity gun, shot all the time, I would keep the sig. If you want something to hold on to as a safe queen I would go with the Colt. That Sig will run and run and you do not have to worry about ruining any collector value, you will holster it and run any ammo you want through it. What need/purpose do the pistols serve to you? That is what the trade comes down to.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a kimber TLE 2 that I shoot all the time this would totally be for the safe and to pass down later down the line. I have always wanted to own a colt. this has some wear on it and I was just wondering if it was worth getting. I like the sig tac ops I am just not really attached to it. This seems like a great opportunity to jump on a what seems to be "classic Colt" for $900 what I have in the Sig. I am just wondering do these hold there value even though it is 85 to 90% condition. will this pistol continue to be collectible? by the way thank you all for answering my questions.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
IMHO, and others may disagree, to be collector quality a gun should be 98% plus. There will be a time when age renders that less important, but I do not think it will be in my lifetime for a 1974 GC

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Only you can decide what you want to do. I gave you my opinion of what a "collector" gun should be, but everyone feels differently. I would say that you will not lose if you trade pistols, especially if you have no attatchment to the sig, but I also do not think it would be a big gain, except you would now have a Colt. There is no right or wrong answer here except what YOU want

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i think i am going to go for it. it will be nice to own a decent 40 year old colt. thank you for your insight sir.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just as a point of reference, I bought a 1974 gold cup a year ago for $1200. Shoot it every week and have never looked back. Good luck!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just as a point of reference, I bought a 1974 gold cup a year ago for $1200. Shoot it every week and have never looked back. Good luck!
Thank you for the insight. I emailed the guy back we are trading tomorrow. I will let you guys know how I like it. I am very thankful for the insight on here. I am new to the 1911 world and will be very new to colts. I have noticed that other than gun broker you do not see the 70's GCNM readily available and that they seem to be becoming more rare. I am guessing people will continue to hold onto these as time goes on.

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
Since the GCNM is already used, you won't hurt the value by shooting it. The pictures are terrible, but actually the pistol looks better than 85/90%.

Many more pistols are now being kept in the original box, and collector value won't be as dependent on it being a 99% in the box pistol as with the older pistols.

·
Registered
80 Posts
If you are going to shoot the Colt with standard loads, be sure to get a new full power recoil spring or even a Wolff exta power spring for it, my '74 Gold Cup has the special lightened slide, yours may as well. You might want to use a Wilson shock buffer as well.

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
You know what you have, but that is odd for a 70 Series GCNM to have a lightened slide. The lightened slide was supposedly dropped with the introduction of the Series 70.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So I ended up trading for the colt. I could not be happier about the choice to do so. I am a bit lost with the comments about a "lightened slide" can you seasoned colt 1911 owners explain to me what you guys are talking about. Thank you.

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
The pre-70Series GCNM had quite a bit of metal taken out of the slide, primarily ahead of the locking lugs, and a smaller amount behind the breech face. In all I think it was about three ounces. This was done to make them reliable with the 185 gr. SWC ammo as it was designed and built primarily a target pistol. As far as I know the 70 Series GCNM slides did not have these lightening cuts.

Your 70 Series GCNM will work fine with a 16# recoil spring. Even with the 16# recoil spring mine doesn't hiccup with anything down to 185 grain lead SWC's, but all are fired from a locked wrist and elbow or two hand hold.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you for explaining that. There is a lot of knowledge on this board. I learn something all the time on here. Thanks again. What is your favorite 1911 by colt?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts