Colt Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

· Registered
375 Posts
Lumatt, FWIW, I have personally seen '70 Series Gold Cups up into the 70N24000 range with the lightened slide. A friend has one in the 70N12000 range with the lightened slide. If it happens to be one of those, I'd definitely recommend a Govt./16# rcoil spring and buffer with standard ammo. I owned several '70 Series Gold Cups, none with the lightened slide, but all came with a recoil spring 4 coils shorter than the Government Model spring...

· Premium Member
7,060 Posts
My series 70 Gold Cup was very accurate and I shot it with the 22 kit about as much as the 45 kit. It worked and cycled reduced power 200 grain SWC very well. The only issues I had and is somewhat common with them was the rear sight pin would walk out and the front sight loosened up. The front sight needed restaking with the correct tool and I believe the fix for the rear sight is to peen the retaining pin so it won't walk out from shooting. The gun is now missing or stolen but those issues are a easy fix for a gunsmith.

· Registered
32 Posts
I bought a Series 70 NM Gold Cup NIB in 1978. Didn't know much about guns at the time and the dealer sold me on it for $314.00---a lot of money then.
I never really was a good shot with it even with adjustable sights. Years later a good friend/gunsmith pointed out what was wrong with it:
The factory chamber was all scarred up from a bad reamer. Lousy slide to frame fit. Crappy bbl bushing.
It never shot good until I rebarreled it and added heftier springs and bushing.
I guess I just had one that fell through the cracks. It happens. I'd buy another one of the price was right.

· Registered
12,931 Posts
Sounds like a previous owner abused it. The 70 Series GCNM's had match barrels, and you can bet Colt never let one go out with a scarred up chamber. The 70 Series never had a tight slide to receiver fit, but the barrel to bushing and bushing to slide fit was always tight which contributes more to accuracy than any other single feature.

· Registered
32 Posts
No previous owner...as stated: I bought it NIB. The chamber is horrible. Still have it.
Didn't say the slide to frame fit was tight: It was lousy. Bushing was sloppy.
Not trying to be argumentative, but somebody way back in the late 1970's left the gate open and this Colt got out of the barn without a bridle.
Heck...at one time, the front sight came out of the slide. I had to have it silver soldered in because there wasn't enough bottom base metal to peen it in place.

· Registered
32 Posts
Like I said---Didn't know much about guns at the time. I can honestly plead ignorance. I guess I should have said I knew next to nothing about them--literally.
Here I was, 21 years old with more spare cash in my pocket than my dad ever had and it was a COLT Gold Cup! I kinda figured that's all I needed to know.
Didn't know until years later that it was a lemon. I just chalked it up to being a lousy shot with an auto-loader.

· Registered
12,931 Posts
Doesn't the buffer go between the recoil spring guide and the recoil spring? Strange location to prevent "battering". The genius of the buffer is that it costs a cent of less to manufacture and sells for a dollar.

· Registered
80 Posts
Doesn't the buffer go between the recoil spring guide and the recoil spring? Strange location to prevent "battering". The genius of the buffer is that it costs a cent of less to manufacture and sells for a dollar.
The recoil spring tunnel on the front of the slide contacts the spring guide at full recoil, the buffer prevents metal on metal contact and absorbs some of the shock.

· Registered
12,931 Posts
The recoil spring tunnel on the front of the slide contacts the spring guide at full recoil, the buffer prevents metal on metal contact and absorbs some of the shock.
This is where the brunt of the metal to metal contact is made, and the buffer does nothing for this. How is it that Colt and Kimber never saw the need for the Shok Bufs, and Colt invented the design?

21 - 40 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.