Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the difference? Are both models currently produced?

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Yes. The Trophy has some features that make it illegal for service pistol competition. The blued NM has traditional features (grip safety, hammer) that some prefer and make the gun legal for competition. The wrap around stocks need to be replaced, though, if you actually compete. Must be standard two-piece traditional slabs. Either one would make an excellent shooter. I know; I have both!
Bob

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I purchased a new GCNM last week. I believe both are still available. Tried to post a link to Colt site showing both models but link was no good. Mine came with 2 piece wood stocks.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The only difference I can see are the hammer and the extended slide spring. What actually makes them illegal for competition?

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
The only difference I can see are the hammer and the extended slide spring. What actually makes them illegal for competition?
Only differences I've read of is the hammer you mentioned, plus a beaver tail grip and an aluminum trigger on the Trophy where the NM has a steel trigger, spur hammer, and standard grip safety. As far the Trophy, all I can find out is that it is not legal for some competitions. I'm definitely not competition worthy or knowledgeable.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Both guns have the same wide aluminum trigger. The GCT Stainless has a modified grip safety (not "as issued" style) and a skeletonized "enhanced" style hammer. Both are not allowed in the service pistol phase of CMP competition. The rubber wrap-around stocks, available on both pistols, are also illegal for service pistol. The newer NMs have wood stocks. The idea in CMP (military-type service pistol, like the distinguished match and the President's Hundred) is to have the pistol closely simulate an issued pistol. Gun can be accurized with adjustable sights, but no target stocks or after-market type additions like beavertails or cool hammers, etc. Trigger must not be less than 4 lbs. The blued NM meets these requirements. The GCT is legal for the standard .45 caliber phase of the NRA 2700 course, though. Both are pretty close to being competitive "out of the box" (for bullseye competition), with the addition of a TIGHT bushing, trigger job and a good muzzle crown. Excellent pistolas.
Bob

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Bob,

Is your shown GCT a stainless finish? It is a particularly attractive example and is different from the current 05070X being sold, isn't it? Any details would be appreciated.

Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts