Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased this set of 1911 grips. Are they mismatched or what ? iI have never seen this type of medallion the wood the grips are made of are a match but the medallions don't .

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Certainly one of those medallions has been replaced....that is, if your certain the wooden grips are a match set.

·
Registered
163 Posts
The one on the right looks like the medallions on the Thai repros I have. The one on the left looks a lot more "right" to me.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
A picture of the other side will show whether one of the medallions is a replacement.
The grip on the right appears to be the standard Colt style medallion, the one on the left might be from some commemorative.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I'm pretty sure the medallion on the left are on 80s and 90s pachmeier revolver grips. I think they are on an older king cobra I have.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
They are mis-matched
The medallion on the left is known as the "Serpentine" Colt Medallion that was installed in the rubber pebble grain grips on Colt autos in the late 80's-early 90's. The medallion on the right is the standard rampant Colt medallion.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,609 Posts
During the Colt 150th anniversary they used the large pony medallions with a "150" on the medallion with the large pony.
For several years after that they used the large pony without the "150" then went back to the small pony on the globe.

I suspect these came off two different guns... the one on the right either before or a few years after the large pony medallion period.
The large pony medallion grip a couple of years after the 150th anniversary.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks For the helpful answers. The back side post is the same flair as my other colt grips. The color and wood grain the grip panels appear identical

1 - 8 of 8 Posts