Colt Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Colt Python 4" Royal Blue, vintage 1961
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just bought a circa 1961 4" RB and plan to shoot a few rounds through it. However, on working the actions, I found out the cylinder release latch is a bit rough. Sometimes it binds and there is a bit of side play on the release latch. Since it is a 60 year old Python, I figured to send it to a good Colt gunsmith here to thoroughly clean and lube the internals and replace any parts deemed necessary. Can anyone recommend me a good Colt gunsmith here in the San Francisco Bay area ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They have gunsmiths in CA? Sorry, couldn’t help it. My suggestion would be to send it to Frank Glenn in AZ.

That is why I ask. I can't ship it out of state without going through FFL dealers on both ends. I know it is a PITA.

·
Premium Member
1,083 Posts
That is why I ask. I can't ship it out of state without going through FFL dealers on both ends. I know it is a PITA.
Frank Glenn is an FFL holder, so you're good on that end. I'm not sure what it's like on your end in Cali though or if there are any other hoops to jump through.

·
Registered
105 Posts
This is not correct. I live in Bay Area and shipped my Colt revolver to Frank Glenn directly. Gun owner allow to ship guns to FFL gunsmiths directly, and gun can be shipped back to the same address where it came from.

Besides Frank, I have done shipping to Springfield Armory (Illinois) for custom works and came back to my home (sipping address) directly. All without local FFL dealer involved.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is not correct. I live in Bay Area and shipped my Colt revolver to Frank Glenn directly. Gun owner allow to ship guns to FFL gunsmiths directly, and gun can be shipped back to the same address where it came from.

Besides Frank, I have done shipping to Springfield Armory (Illinois) for custom works and hat came back to my home (sipping address) directly. All without local FFL dealer involved.
t
That is good to know. I always thought private entities can't ship guns out of state from Cali.

·
Registered
9,517 Posts

Besides Frank, I have done shipping to Springfield Armory (Illinois) for custom works and came back to my home (sipping address) directly. All without local FFL dealer involved.
I’m also in Cubafornia and a few years ago shipped a non antique SAA out of state but had to do it at the the main FedEx hub, not a satellite office. And if I recall correctly it was around $100 ”because of air freight only”, I think. But when it came back I think the FFL gunsmith used the USPO. I forgot what that shipping back to me cost But think it wasn’t cheap, either.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I‘ve had two Colt SAAs rebarreled by this gunsmith in Woodland. I can’t vouch as far as Pythons or anything else goes, but he’s a real nice guy and his one man shop has an old school vibe to it like gunsmiths I went to in the 70s. I know tgat doesn’t say much but might be worth a call to ask.

Thanks, if he can help me, it sure beats having to ship the gun out of state.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Unfortunately, there aren't that many gunsmiths specialized in old Colt DA revolvers (not just California). You probably can get plenty who will work on S&W revolvers. But finding one that willing to touch old Colt DA revolvers and have great reputation are few these days.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Craig Maraviov in Woodland CA is a first rate revolversmith. I'm not sure if he's still there, it's been a long time since I lived in CA; but he is really great.

I suspect you're missing the little plastic piece that goes on the cylinder release.

·
Registered
9,517 Posts
Craig Maraviov in Woodland CA is a first rate revolversmith. I'm not sure if he's still there, it's been a long time since I lived in CA; but he is really great.

I suspect you're missing the little plastic piece that goes on the cylinder release.
He fitted a barrel to a Colt New Service for me just a couple months ago and he is about a half hour from me. I mentioned him earlier here. He’s done barrel work on three Colts for me with great results. His rather large shop is in a little industrial park. It’s piled up with all kinds of gun stuff everywhere looking like he’s been there a long time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Craig used to build guns for Bill Davis; he knows a thing or two about revolvers.

Since quite a few folks vouch for Craig, I'll touch base with him. Being a PPC gunsmith, I'm sure a minor Python tuneup is well within his ability unless he has a thing against Colt revolvers.

·
Registered
9,517 Posts
Since quite a few folks vouch for Craig, I'll touch base with him. Being a PPC gunsmith, I'm sure a minor Python tuneup is well within his ability unless he has a thing against Colt revolvers.
I recently pulled a ‘97 Winchester shotgun out of my safe and when I checked it the action locked open. I’ll probably be paying him a visit myself in the near future.

·
Registered
10,305 Posts
Welcome to the COLT Forum from the Cradle Of Liberty...Pennsylvania !!

Enjoy Our Community Sir...and Congrats on that '61 Royal Blue Colt Python !!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts