Colt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like it maybe marked Kings KeyFD Hammer. Seller believes it's an old Colt hammer. Looks like the notches are missing to me. An
y info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
250 Posts
That's a King cockeye'd hammer, drilled to cut weight & shorten lock time. In their era King gunshop was the best of the best for custom sixgun work.

Can't say for 100% sure, but the welded up notches may mean that hammer was one of their short-stroke hammers as well, which also shortened lock time on the ol peacemakers even more... aiding in targeting ability downrange vs stock guns of that time.

If that hammer was in my neck'a the woods, or available to me, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

·
Premium Member
19,179 Posts
Like Rooster, I would buy this hammer if it were for sale in my area at a decent price. Without the intermediate notches, I wonder how the action would function. Also, I note that the cam is missing on this hammer. It might have originally had a different configuration from a standard SAA cam. Jim Martin may have seen hammers like this one. I hope he sees the Thread and responds.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been wondering how or if it would function without the notches. The more your guys educate me the higher the chances I may buy it. I do know a fine gunsmith that has welded up and restored notches for me for only $60. Jim Martin put me in direct contact with him.

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
With the widened spur and the missing notches, is this not a "fanning" hammer?

·
Registered
250 Posts
With the widened spur and the missing notches, is this not a "fanning" hammer?
No. That cockeyed spur actually sits much lower than a standard hammer spur does, it has a height more like the bisley spur has to aid in re-cocking without needing to break ones grip shot to shot. Fanning hammers have spurs the opposite, (they) generally get altered upward or have the spur ground smooth so it's easier to palm quickly with an opposite hand.

·
Premium Member
19,179 Posts
What is the asking price on this hammer? If it is $200 or less, it may be worth the investment if you have an old SAA to experiment with.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm really starting to want this hammer. I love tinkering with my guns but don't want to get in over my head with this. I was able to find some pics of customized colts from Kings Gun Sights using this hammer. I can not wrap my head around the mechanics of a short stroke Colt SAA. If the hammer has been modified to only come back 1/2 way , in my mind the pawl wouldn't move the cylinder enough. Sounds like a timing nightmare unless someone that knows what there doing can tweak it. Apparently a guy named Elmer Keith loved writing about these..

·
Premium Member
19,179 Posts
I would think the key to getting the hand to properly advance the cylinder would be in where the hand pivots on the hammer or by changing the length of the hand.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts