Colt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know how to remove the stains on Colt hammers? on couple of my D frame the hammer has a stained look I have tried light polishing with a jewelery polish rag but I thought about emery cloth but don't
want the hammers to look rebuffed any one have any Ideas?

Thanks

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,677 Posts
If you can safely disassemble the guns, remove the hammers and use sheets of finer grit "wet or dry" sand paper or emery cloth to polish.

Lay the sand cloth on a FLAT surface and carefully push the hammer across the surface and off the cloth.
By pushing off the cloth, you avoid leaving circular scratches in the metal from where you stopped or reversed direction.

EVERY TIME you make one stroke across the cloth and off the end, STOP... and wipe the table or whatever you have the cloth laying on with a damp cloth. This removes the grit from the table and prevents scratching the hammer.

Be careful to check the progress EVERY stroke to prevent polishing unevenly.
If you push down on the hammer on one side or end, the hammer will be polished unevenly.
If you take a little care and use the right grit cloth, you can restore the original factory finish.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I need a seperate hard drive just for Dr. D's posts I save. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Great info!

·
Registered
958 Posts
Try and find a piece of heavy plate glass. You can check it with a straight edge to make sure it is perfectly flat. It makes a good backer for your emory cloth.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
This is a good thread question. My Colt revolvers are trash and treasures. Some have a lot of "character" about them and would look odd if I were to bring the sides of the hammer back to a bright appearance. I do have one that is quite nice except for the hammer which has the brown stain on the sides from handling. I've long observed that it is a very stubborn stain on a Colt's hammer. I notice that the factory polished the hammers in a particular direction and would want to duplicate the look. What grit would most closely duplicate the factory finish?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
IF-assuming you have proper tools/knowledge-you ever have to change the firing pin on your Colt,you need to "find" the firing pin retaining pin in the hammer sides.

They are so well polished,that it is difficult to see! Cleaning and rubbing with fingers will usually locate it for CAREFUL removal and intallation of a new one.

Bud

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,677 Posts
Erasers are really rubber-bonded mild abrasive sticks.

These can be bought for use with flex-shaft or Dremel tools.
They come in a variety of "grits" and shapes and are used for polishing and de-burring.

An eraser is just an "expedient" form.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts