Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the 3rd edition of the Colt Officer Model, is wide hammer spur appropriate? When did wide hammer spur occur? My email is [email protected] Thanks for any info you can provide.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'll try to help, but experts will correct me if my info is false....If you consider the OMS to be 4th issue, the wide trigger was in the 50's....my OMS has the narrow trigger an my OMM from '58 has wide spur...3rd issue likely had the narrow trigger.....I think.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll try to help, but experts will correct me if my info is false....If you consider the OMS to be 4th issue, the wide trigger was in the 50's....my OMS has the narrow trigger an my OMM from '58 has wide spur...3rd issue likely had the narrow trigger.....I think.....
Thanks BABYSITR. I think you are correct. Anyone else know when the wide hammer spur appeared?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,667 Posts
Colt introduced the famous Target hammer in late 1952 on the last of the Officer's Model Special's.
It was standard on the Officer's Model Match of 1953 and was used as an option on the Trooper and 357 in 1953.
It was standard on the Python in 1955.

·
Registered
149 Posts
When you put that wide hammer and fully checkered targets on an OMM,, .38 or .22.....you've got a sweet revolver package! ...Oh yeah, they made some kind of snake deal didn't they? I need to look into that!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks a lot, guys. I appreciate all your knowledge and now my question is answered. This is my first post but I have been a reader of this forum for a long time. Thanks dfariswheel, judgecolt, thecoltguy and others. I feel like I almost know you guys. This is an incredible knowledge base. God bless all, John

·
Registered
532 Posts
Colt introduced the famous Target hammer in late 1952 on the last of the Officer's Model Special's.
It was standard on the Officer's Model Match of 1953 and was used as an option on the Trooper and 357 in 1953.
It was standard on the Python in 1955.
I have a 22lr that dates to 1951 that has the wide hammer.
Look at the bottom one in this pix, ser# 627xx
From top to bottom, they date as 1950, 1952, 1951

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,667 Posts
A question would be, is the hammer original or a replacement.
This because the original factory hammer was sometimes replaced by an owner with the later Target hammer.
An indication that this might be the case are the Python (gold medallion) First Issue Target grips on the third gun.
These were not available until 1955.

·
Registered
532 Posts
A question would be, is the hammer original or a replacement.
This because the original factory hammer was sometimes replaced by an owner with the later Target hammer.
An indication that this might be the case are the Python (gold medallion) First Issue Target grips on the third gun.
These were not available until 1955.
I wondered the same thing about the hammer after reading your comment about the dates, and do not know the history of this pistol. The center and bottom sets of stocks are reproductions from Thailand. Note the brass screw and escutcheon. I put them on because I did not like the cheap rubber stocks that were on there when I bought them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts