Colt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I’m new here and rarely start threads anywhere, but I didn’t see being discussed, what I need Help with. Here goes... I have been asked to help to determine value and help dispose of a collection of mostly Colt collectable Handguns. I got a first peak at some of them today. Most are in commemorative cases that are locked . The key wasn’t available for now. The ones I did get a look at range in calibers and barrel length. They all have the original boxes and paperwork if not in a presentation box.
When I get a chance to sit down and look at them in detail and take pictures, I’d like to post them here and discuss them If this is allowed .
The Colt collection is not normally my area of knowledge. I collect mostly military stuff, so I will be needing help. They will all go up for sale eventually. The owner has no interest in them in keeping them and just wants to turn them into cash.
There were at least 25 pieces in the collection. I hope to be chatting with some of the guys in here in the next few weeks.

Bert

·
Premium Member
19,239 Posts
Welcome to the Colt Forum! I feel certain that some of the members will help you out with determining prices, but good quality pictures will be needed.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bring it on, sounds interesting.
Thanks for the inviting reply ! I certainly will . As soon as they locate a key I’ll take at least 1 picture of each along with serial numbers and any useful information and post it here to get a discussion started.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to the Colt Forum! I feel certain that some of the members will help you out with determining prices, but good quality pictures will be needed.
That’s my hope ! As soon as I can determine fair market value they will all go up for sale. There might be one in there for someone needing to feel a hole in his collection. Thanks for the welcome.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome to the COLT Forum from the Cradle Of Liberty...Pennsylvania !!

Enjoy Our Community Bert...

Also looking forward to viewing that collection.

It’s going to take some getting used to this forum, and when I get a handle on it I’ll get those pictures posted and hopefully with the forum users help I can get proper values on them and find them new homes.

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
Welcome to a great forum!
Visit the Want To Sale section and note the sticky on sales. These requirements are intended to help prevent scammers/thieves. A Premium Membership will allow you early access to selling items.

you may want to search “commemoratives” Often these do not bring the $ as comparable standard models.
Vic

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
By all means, post 'em on here.
I would suggest you make about 6 or 8 views of each; L., R, Top, Bottom. Front, Rear, and both ends of the cylinder, and include the frame. If they are safe queens and have little to no use, just skip the frame & cylinder images, but be sure to get a good look at the shooters.
You don't have to post 'em all at once, y'know.....; some soon, some later, some in a month or 3. The rest when it is convienient. You get the idea.
Decent images will help assess the condition & relative value, and will improve the marketability of 'em when you sell.
The collectors on here will be chompin' at the bit.........
It is always exciting when some nice hardware comes to light.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would suggest you make about 6 or 8 views of each; L., R, Top, Bottom. Front, Rear, and both ends of the cylinder, and include the frame. If they are safe queens and have little to no use, just skip the frame & cylinder images, but be sure to get a good look at the shooters.
You don't have to post 'em all at once, y'know.....; some soon, some later, some in a month or 3. The rest when it is convienient. You get the idea.
Decent images will help assess the condition & relative value, and will improve the marketability of 'em when you sell.
Thats the plan but first I have to figure out how to open most of the boxes. The owner acquired these through an inheritance and has to clue to any of the keys whereabouts. It looks to need a simple round key with a single notch. I’m trying to have him send me a photo so I can post it here and see if anybody knows where I may acquire One.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay. I have photos of the locks. I’m trying to figure out how to post images. Bare,Bear with me.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Welcome to a great forum!
Visit the Want To Sale section and note the sticky on sales. These requirements are intended to help prevent scammers/thieves. A Premium Membership will allow you early access to selling items.

you may want to search “commemoratives” Often these do not bring the $ as comparable standard models.
Vic
Vic, I understand completely what you’re telling me, but there is no money in this for me And I know the owner doesn’t know their value, neither do I for the most part. That’s why I came here in the hopes that some knowledgable men could help me determine what their values are .

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
NP just pointing out some issues and associated regulations.
Believe me, we are all anxious to see!
Most kind of you to help out.
Vic

Reactions: Ugly

·
Registered
56 Posts
Not knowing your depth of knowledge on these matters, and knowing mine is next to none, the guys here can also advise on handling NIB guns, the cases, and even the boxes and papers if they have value. Who knew boxes and papers had value? These guys know. I’m pretty new here and not a collector, as you can see.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
NP just pointing out some issues and associated regulations.
Believe me, we are all anxious to see!
Most kind of you to help out.
Vic
Vic
im thinking that if he can’t come up with a key I might just unscrew one half of the lock hasp Screws and open them that way. I’ll give him a few days to locate a key before I use that option. I’m interested to see what’s in the locked boxes myself and I’ve never been interested in colts save the 1 series 70 and series 80 1911 that I aquired years ago

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Not knowing your depth of knowledge on these matters, and knowing mine is next to none, the guys here can also advise on handling NIB guns, the cases, and even the boxes and papers if they have value. Who knew boxes and papers had value? These guys know. I’m pretty new here and not a collector, as you can see.
You probably know more than me when it comes to colts I know condition and in original boxes and associated paper only adds value And that’s about it for my Colt knowledge.

·
Registered
474 Posts
First lesson: Learn how to cock/uncock a Colt SAA without making a turn line. If you don't you might make some here have a heart attack, not to mention degrade the value.
Second lesson: Keep all the paperwork, styrofoam inserts, boxes, leaves, etc. Many collectors want it as close to you can get when it left the factory.
Lesson Three: Don't use anything harsh to clean anything. Collectors would rather deal with dirt and debris themselves than have you degrade the value by thinking you're making it worth more by a good cleaning. Absolutely no wire wheels, wire brushes, sandpaper, etc. Keep in mind some cleaners can ruin wood, rubber, plastic, and metal finishes.

1 - 20 of 142 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.