Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up a very nice Colt Huntsman and field stripped it for cleaning and lubrication. OK...good as far as that goes. Now reassembly has been a royal PITA. The issue is the recoil spring and guide have to be in the captured position to reassemble. Is there some secret to getting it into the captured position? No matter what I do I can't get the assembly lock to capture it and have had to go chasing the spring and guide across the room.

Any hints on this?

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Go to Bob Rayburn's most excellent website at: 22 caliber rimfire semi-auto Colt pistol: .22 calibre Colt Woodsman
Top left of the opening page is the "Repair" tap
click and scroll down until you see the tutorial specific to the Recoil Spring R & R.
There are two versions of the tutorial. One with household tool use and the other utilizing a specific tool for the proper capture.
Should you require more assistance there is a tab to get into direct contact with me via email. Further my email is attached below my name here on this post.
Tom Platt

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I'll go there now.

·
Registered
9,788 Posts
It takes two hands...

Compress the spring, using a small screwdriver, then press down on the button on top of the slide, to cause the tip to engage the little 'cup', and you should be all set.

Failing that - read Bob Rayburn's excellent guide a online, and it'll show you photos.

By the way, 'prewoodsman' - Tom Platt - makes a great little tool for just this sort of thing.

If you plan on owning another one - or a 'Woodsman' - get one from him.

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used the guide and it worked just fine. I was almost there already buy just needed the last bit of subtle movements to get it together. It's a simple procedure that in practice, is sometimes less than simple.

Should I use the pistol a lot or get another I'll look into one of those tools. Thanks again, all!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts