Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats undervalued in the Colt market and whats overvalued ? What can you buy these days that will produce the best return on your money over the next five years ? What is inclined to escalate the most in value ? What genre will be hot or not ? Answer this question with your head and not your heart if that's possible in Colt collecting.

John Fugate

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
I think many nice condition Pre-War DA Colts are undervalued (Police Positive Targets for a great example). The Pre-War quality is truly superb and you can get very nice guns for a lot less than a Python. I think the Colt long guns are overpriced and due for a correction. As always, JMHO.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Personally, collect because you like the firearms/history/ workmanship. Like everything else collected for investment puposes, you ride a roller coaster of ups and down, disappointment when markets are down and elated when they are up. For me, that takes all the funs out of collecting and the enjoyment of history. May not answer your poll question, but that is how I feel. Ron:)

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am just looking for solid leads as to what particular guns to own for the best financial return in a five year span. This is like asking what stock to pick and why ? Is there a Colt handgun out there that could possibly double in value over the next five years ?

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I like pre 70 series 1911's that are still new in their original boxes. That's one of my blue chip picks. That's a whole lot of gun that can still be bought for a reasonable price. Undervalued at this point in the market compared to Pythons etc. Plenty of room to grow in my opinion.

·
Registered
12,294 Posts
For an investment buy the absolute best you can find, and don't pay a premium to own it. As someone mentioned, the pre WWII revolvers appear to offer the best opportunity for an above average increase in value. The revolvers represent some of the finest workmanship ever seen in mass produced firearms, and fit and finish that will never be seen again.

Personally I have not seen any ups and downs in the value of pre-WWII Colts. There have been huge swings in the value of AR 15 type weapons, but this was due to preconceived notions that they would no longer be available; better known as "panic buying".

I also see people investing in current models at inflated prices that differ only in slightly different markings. This is reminiscent of the commemorative market pistols of years past, which differed only in the markings and finish. This is a highly specialized market that does not appeal to a very wide market.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
I like pre 70 series 1911's that are still new in their original boxes. That's one of my blue chip picks. That's a whole lot of gun that can still be bought for a reasonable price. Undervalued at this point in the market compared to Pythons etc. Plenty of room to grow in my opinion.

Won't disagree with you on those NIB pre-70 1911's.

In the Python world, I think the 1K-2K "shooters" could be 2-4K easier, than the primo 3-4K LNIB/NIB ones could be 6-8K. Even though not as pretty.

D-backs I see as overvalued, for now.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Given a five-year time-span, I think your best bet at doubling your money with Colts would be with 6920 ARs. You can pick them up retail for about $1100 right now (the gun dealers on this board can buy them cheaper than that). In the next five years, I think it is a pretty safe bet there will be another run of panic buying driven by political fears and we will see a period when you can sell those new in box 6920s for $2500 or more, as you could have early this year during the post Newtown panic buying frenzy. Could be as early as next year, if the Republicans lose the House and the Democrats keep the Senate.

They are a lot easier to find than new in box pre-Series 70 1911s.

·
Registered
29 Posts
In my opinion, I don't know if any Colt handgun would double in worth in just 5 years. Couple the current political environment, and barring another shooting atrocity, I wouldn't wager that any current investment in firearms would be safe. I know, I know, we (firearm enthusiasts) have been hearing that from the time of the GCA of 68, and multiple times since.

Couple that with the average age of those interested in "old" guns, (just look at the average age of those who frequent this site) and the market is rather limited and only getting smaller in my opinion. Just this last year, I purchased my first "tupperware" gun. I swear I heard and felt my Dad spinning in his grave from 300 miles away. It is now my daily go to piece, go figure.

Like most who have passed the halfway point in years, and still have the means, finding a place to park assets, let alone grow them is becoming harder and harder. The days of buying any given Colt, Smith, Browning or Winchester for under 1, or 2 bills at the most are long gone, even taking into account inflation.

I haven't made a penny on a substantial investment by me and my family in our collection. I haven't tried either. That's not really a fair comparison because I haven't purchased a gun thinking what will it be worth to someone else years down the road. I purchase them for an entirely different reason. Aesthetics, craftsmanship, history or purpose. Because they have held, or even gained in value over the decades we have enjoyed them is just a bonus.

You have some very nice examples and would I imagine you cater to a more discriminating cliental. The higher end market never seems to take as big a hit as everyone else, but not always, just look at real estate. I will watch this thread as I may need to park some money and I am not getting any younger myself.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Anyone who is not an expert in antique and collectable firearms should realize that the only people who consistantly make money from them are the dealers. There are a lot of people out there who are just aching to take the money of firearms investors!
I remember a number of antique firearms investment groups as far back as the 1970's. How many are left? When such dealers as Herb Glass, Jr. and the late Norm Flayderman viewed "investors" with some prudance.
The only legitimate reason for spending large sums on firearms is because you enjoy posessing them. This includes such terribly expensive items like genuine Walkers and Texas Patersons.
Just as an aside, anyone who purchases such items without expert consultants at their side before and during the purchase, may also be in the market for some bridges between Manhattan and Brooklyn in New York City!

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
I don't think you're going to see any major new trends in the Colt market. From what I can tell, really the only major price explosion over the last few years has been for the more recent ('70s on) NIB guns. I think it's the NIB aspect that's driving the market, in large part because once you've determined that the package is legitimate, and not made up from all the counterfeit BS flooding the market, the rest is kind of easy. The gun then becomes something of a commodity; one NIB 4" blue Python form the '70s is little different from another NIB 4" blue Python from the '70s, so it's relatively easy to follow how your "investment" is doing. There's no subjectivity required;this is the way it left the factory.

I think it's just going to be a continuation of the "usual suspects"

Best regards,

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Anyone who is not an expert in antique and collectable firearms should realize that the only people who consistantly make money from them are the dealers. There are a lot of people out there who are just aching to take the money of firearms investors!
I remember a number of antique firearms investment groups as far back as the 1970's. How many are left? When such dealers as Herb Glass, Jr. and the late Norm Flayderman viewed "investors" with some prudance.
The only legitimate reason for spending large sums on firearms is because you enjoy posessing them. This includes such terribly expensive items like genuine Walkers and Texas Patersons.
Just as an aside, anyone who purchases such items without expert consultants at their side before and during the purchase, may also be in the market for some bridges between Manhattan and Brooklyn in New York City!
So what is you pick for the next Colt handgun to escalate in value. We have seen the python and DB atleast double in a fairly short amount of time. Whats next ?

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
A firearm collector and dealer asking us mere mortals what's the next Colt firearm that will double his investment? I'm sorry but you lost me at the word "What". Every Colt I own is now worth more than I paid for them. I don't buy/invest in firearms as a livelihood. I buy and shoot what appeals to me and take extremely good care to thoroughly clean after a range outing. You're asking the wrong fella here on that particular "pick". I can help on locating oil leases you can probably still get your hands on that'll bear fruit many times over..... ;)

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have been very happy, many years ago in choosing to go with .22's and .22 mags in both Colt and S&W,both as shooters and NIB. As a shooter grade they can't be beat. Why? AMMO COST! and it won't get any better, especially in the larger cals. For an investment? good, inner city,residential or commercial real estate beats firearms by miles. Far more people are interested in a home or business space than a NIB Python,Diamondback or mint WWII 1911 Colt. Just the way it is IMHO.

Ischia

·
Premium Member
6,580 Posts
So what is you pick for the next Colt handgun to escalate in value. We have seen the python and DB atleast double in a fairly short amount of time. Whats next ?
Officer Models and .357 models have done about as well also, with less of a entry fee. Original Troopers maybe not as they were also produced as MKIII and MKV versions, so those may be sleepers.

·
Premium Member
21,835 Posts
From the responses I have read so far, I am not seeing any Colt doubling in price in 5 years unless it is due to Government regulations. There is certainly a 'wave' of buying in Pythons and Diamondbacks that appears to be building into a 'bubble.'

1 - 20 of 112 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.