Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have wanted one of these -and have not seen one yet in person -------a seller on his description states the Following:
A unique feature is the safety system, the lever on the left both locks the slide back and puts the gun on safety. In adition, the hammer has the half cock position which seizes the hammer and prevents slide movement. So one could have a round in the breech, apply both safety features, to fire then one would have to manually cock the hammer full back and then put the safety in off.
??????? Ok -help me -how would you carry this (If in pocket) and is it Safe?
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
904 Posts
I had one. Used it, carried it. Due to a combination of efficacy of the safety(s) alone or in combination AND ease of manipulation of same I recommend hammer down on an empty chamber and use of ball/FMJ ammo only. Then it is like using a small knife with reach. I much prefer the .38 or equivalent as a minimum.

·
Premium Member
6,135 Posts
Go to the Colt web address and read the owners manual. Colt had a recall on some of the 25s because I believe the firing pin may have been too long. It may have been designed as a floating firing pin but I don't know if it was recommended to carry that way. Mike

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can not locate a manual -------do you carry it like a 1911 -hammer back safety on ---it is not a double action correct?? it is single action -?????
I do appreciate the 2 responses but neither has answered my question --(unless i am not reading accurately)---I am on the fence with a deal and need a quick answer ---thanks !!

·
Premium Member
6,135 Posts
Re: [url]www.coltsmfg.com[/url]

Go to the site listed above. Then click media center. Then click owners manual. You have to agree to the disclamer. There are 2 options for Junior .25 auto. One is the original manual that states the safest was to carry was with a empty chamber. Possibly aluding to it was "OK" to carry with a round in the chamber. The original concept of a "safety" was to have the gun loaded and ready but with the safety on it was suppose to be "safe". Now if you read the 1984 version that lists only 2 ways to carry and none include a round in the chamber. Remember, these are lawyers talking now. Even if one looks at the cowboy manual it still states to load 5 rounds?! Man, what was the whole reason the cowboy was developed? If you could locate a astra manual, they may actually state the designed way to carry. Good luck and as always just my .02. Mike

·
Registered
904 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
I can not locate a manual -------do you carry it like a 1911 -hammer back safety on ---it is not a double action correct?? it is single action -?????
I do appreciate the 2 responses but neither has answered my question --(unless i am not reading accurately)---I am on the fence with a deal and need a quick answer ---thanks !!

[/ QUOTE ]What is ambiguous about "hammer down on an empty chamber and use of ball/FMJ ammo only?" People having average size or larger hands simply can't manipulate the thumb safety safely or rapidly when under stress and the half cock can be defeated if you drop the pistol. Best to carry hammer down on an empty chamber and rack the slide when presenting the pistol. These petite pistols require practice and familiarity for certain and safe operation. They are accurate enough to put all rounds in a face size target at 7 yards.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I found the manual online -thanks and in there read that if there is a M inside the ejection port then the inertia firing pin is updated as a protection from drop/bang on loaded chamber

1 - 7 of 7 Posts