Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow Colt owners. I just purchased a very nice looking King Cobra, not a scratch on it, but I noticed the bottom of the cobra and the bottom of a few letters in "Cobra" were either poorly stamped or polished off. Anybody else run into this? Any comments or opinions would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts
Welcome to the Colt Forum from TN. Can you post pictures? The few Cobras I own do not have this condition.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I handle many King Cobras and know exactly what you are referring to.

When Colt put a new Roll Stamp on the machine and it was fresh and new it left a nice deep and crisp Stamp. As time went on the stamp became worn and often the letters started to get wider as the stamp wore. Colt is not exempt from this today as I have received many new in the box Colt Delta Elites and the stamping vary in them as well. I would've thought now a days with lasers and cnc machines they would be very consistent but that is not the case.

In some cases the Roll Stamp may very well have been polished off, particularly if it is bright stainless, polishing is another word for "Removing Metal" to me.

I have also seen some examples where the roll stamp appeared very deep on one end (Top) and very light at the other (Bottom) almost as though the gun was rolled to one side when it went through the stamping process.

Without pictures I would have to gander your firearm falls into one of the above catagories unless it is something way out of the ordinary.

Most of the time the inconsistent Roll Stamp just reminds me that firearms are not a perfect endeavour and it just adds to the character of each piece.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Welcome to the Forum! The wealth of info, suggestions & help here is gratifying & overwhelming. I've benefited many times from many, many members.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts