Colt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know much about Colt Revolvers. What's the main difference the new and old Colt King Cobra?

·
Registered
10,473 Posts
Frame size and actions are very different. The original King Cobra has a bigger frame and a coil spring action...the new King Cobra has a U-shaped mainspring. More differences than those but they are the two major ones.

·
Registered
9,012 Posts
Welcome to the COLT Forum from the Cradle Of Liberty...Pennsylvania !!

Enjoy Our Community...and now I'll leave you in the good hands of our Colt King Cobra experts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Frame size and actions are very different. The original King Cobra has a bigger frame and a coil spring action...the new King Cobra has a U-shaped mainspring. More differences than those but they are the two major ones.
So as I read, the old had a coil mainspring just like S&W J-frames and DA/SA revolvers. The newer ones have a leaf mainspring like the S&W K and larger frames. Other than that, the newer ones are smaller, lighter, and don't have a rear adjustable sight.

Sounds like the newer 2020 King Cobras have a better action and are an upgrade, no?

·
Registered
10,473 Posts
The S&W does use a leaf spring...the spring in the Colts is a "U" shaped spring...different design but each could be called a leaf spring. The S&W leaf spring is more reminiscent of the leaf spring used in the Colt Single Action Army.

The new King Cobra Target does have an adjustable rear sight...the shorter barrel models do not. In the original 1980s King Cobra all barre lengths used an adjustable rear sight.

As far as whether one action is better...matter of personal opinion. The original King Cobra was and is a very tough and durable revolver. The new version has a lighter trigger pull...no question. In twenty years we'll probably have an answer to whether its action is as durable...as of yet I've heard no complaints about its strength and durability.

Reactions: MrS&W and ColtsDad

·
Registered
237 Posts
I'm no gunsmith, so a better action and an upgrade would just be an opinion. I own an older one in bright stainless. Classic design, Classic clean lines and it go's bang when I pull the trigger, Everytime. The new one's remind me of the older Taurus Trackers with a crappy looking front sight. I'll stick with my old one. If I ever decide to add another KC to my line up it will be and older one. Just my .02

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,381 Posts
To be a little more clear.........

The original King Cobra was a heavy medium frame and cylinder model about the same size and weight as the S&W "L" frame.

The New King Cobra is basically a redesigned size version of the Colt Detective Special or Diamondback.
The frame is about the same size as the S&W "K" frame and the Colt and S&W "K" frame cylinders are the same diameter.
It's much smaller then the original King Cobra.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I would have to say size also . To me , the new 3” King Cobra is the perfect concealed carry revolver . I like originals as well , think they definitely classier & probably better target gun.
50030754-1FB5-443C-87A1-66602BF4E2C3.jpeg
B95EF6C1-BAED-4949-86FE-353942F1578E.jpeg

·
Registered
46 Posts
I don't think it would take much for Colt to offer a new Diamondback...essentially the originals and the new King Cobras are pretty close in frame size. Much closer than the old and new KC. I'm still scratching my head over this. Other than they hold six rounds and are DA, I'm not seeing enough similarity to have carried the name over. Just my .02 though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts