Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought a brand new in the box King Cobra from a reputable dealer with gun and box matching serial numbers. When I opened the box I noticed that the barrel was NOT stamped with the customary "Colt MFG Hartford, CT USA" on the right side and it was NOT stamped with the customary "KING COBRA 357 MAGNUM" on the left side. IMG_0475.jpg Here is a picture of the left side. Does this hurt the value or does this make it rare with increased value?

Thanks for your consideration!

·
Premium Member
1,998 Posts
If true I would think it makes it very rare. Looking forward to listening in on this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,841 Posts
I believe by law a gun has to have the caliber clearly and accurately marked. That is some kind of factory mistake! Does it even have rifling in the barrel?

Reactions: Hopalong

·
Registered
82 Posts
I imagine it would drive up the value of this particular gun if/when they cease production.

But I'd second guess how well it was QC'd. I buy guns to carry and shoot rather than to let them sit and sell later on, so I'd call Colt

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Box serial number and gun serial number match. Barrel has rifling. Shipped from Colt with two other King Cobra's. As shown in picture, perfect match to the other King Cobra, just doesn't have the markings on the barrel.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
That sounds like an obvious factory mistake and I would definitely hang on to that one. IMO it will surely command a premium if you ever sell it at auction.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Welcome to Colt Forum, Pat Brady. Thanks for showing your new King Cobra.

IMHO, the lack of roll marks simply shows the lousy, low level of quality control in currently-manufactured Colt double action revolvers. I know a guy with a new Colt Cobra. After only 200 rounds, it had such terrible endshake that the cylinder would not turn. That is quite substantial wear. I have fired many, many thousands of rounds from vintage Colt revolvers, with no apparent or detectable wear.

I think it does nothing, one way or another, to value. I also think that the current production Colt revolvers will never achieve the high rated, high priced collector status of earlier production Colt revolvers. Current production Colt revolvers are expenditures, which will decline in value very rapidly as the guns wear - just like an old lawn mower. They are not investments.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Personally I would want the stampings there. I think no stampings on the barrel would hurt that value somewhat. These are not like coins, where 'mint errors' are collectable. I would consider sending it back to Colt for barrel replacement. Call them first.
And while I respect all opinions here, I have to think that these guns should hold their value. Even the much maligned Colt Cowboy and the Colt 2000 semiauto (really bashed at their intro) have substantial value now.
And welcome to the forum!!!

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
History tells us that gun errors (unlike with stamps and coins) add little or nothing to the value. This is more of a curiosity than anything else. Most error guns I have seen carry 5%-10% premium at best.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
History tells us that gun errors (unlike with stamps and coins) add little or nothing to the value. This is more of a curiosity than anything else. Most error guns I have seen carry 5%-10% premium at best.
Agreed, but it all depends on what the error(s) is/ are, what model is affected, and when it occurred. We'll have to wait on this one a bit. Nothing much to it if a horde left the corral this way but I'd keep it just the same to see.

·
Registered
10,841 Posts
Reactions: Kraaaken

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
Perhaps it is a "scrubbed" model made specifically for a secret government agency. ;)
MIB?
RIPD?
The Phoenix Foundation?

1 - 20 of 70 Posts