Colt Forum banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thank you all for the comments and the welcomes. It will be very interesting to see what the future holds for this Colt Revolver. I will continue to pursue advise and opinions from Colt collectors at gun shows, forums, and other venues. I will also continue to participate in this forum as it appears to be professional and timely.

Thank you!

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Welcome to the COLT Forum...!!

Interesting piece Pat...I hope it works out for you in the long run...collector and/or value wise.

If not...shoot it and be happy to have a story to share with friends.

We Hope You Will Continue To Enjoy Our Community...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
dandak, do you know of any specific examples of the value of guns that have left the factory with imperfections such as missing "roll marks" or missing "anchor" stamp or wrong "caliber" stamped on the barrel. Colt is awfully interested in getting this King Cobra back!!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
History tells us that gun errors (unlike with stamps and coins) add little or nothing to the value. This is more of a curiosity than anything else. Most error guns I have seen carry 5%-10% premium at best.
Do you know of any specific examples of the value of guns that have left the factory with imperfections such as missing "roll marks" or missing "anchor" stamp or wrong "caliber" stamped on the barrel. Colt is awfully interested in getting this King Cobra back!!!!

·
Registered
273 Posts
I am on the side of QC lacking at Colt. We have gotten two in at the shop recently. A 9mm Combat Commander that had a 45 barrel bushing (fortunately we noticed that before we sold it to anyone) and one of the new Combat Elite's that shipped as a 45 ACP but came from the factory with a 9mm ejector and complete 9mm slide and barrel on it. Oops.

·
Premium Member
6,102 Posts
If it were me, I would contact Colt for a Replacement. I would not have even left the shop with it.

I have a Ned Buntline commemorative 45 NF nickel from about 1979. It was unfired when I got it 10 years ago. I took the stocks off to find the grip frame is numbered to another gun. It is what it is, poor quality control.

I have 2 “Z” guns as well, these were colts sold with known flaws which I am guessing were cosmetic and shoot fine. Both guns were bought below the going rate and are fine with me.

·
Registered
10,825 Posts
I bet they want it back to use as an example in an additional training class for their millinneal employees.
Just like when my agency received a shipment of new S&W revolvers in the late 1980s. When another instructor and I tested them before their being issued we found one with a smoothbore barrel...no rifling at all. I called S&W about it once we got back from the range and was told it had to have passed through the hands of at least twelve or more inspectors. He said "We want that gun back...I want to show it to a lot of people."

Admittedly gun with a smoothbore barrel wouldn't have been so visually obvious as a barrel with no roll marks whatsoever...but still...it should have been caught by someone! You would think whoever targeted the revolver would have noticed it...if it was targeted at all. Sideways holes in the target are pretty obvious.

Like it or not...crap happens.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
If it were me, I would contact Colt for a Replacement. I would not have even left the shop with it.

I have a Ned Buntline commemorative 45 NF nickel from about 1979. It was unfired when I got it 10 years ago. I took the stocks off to find the grip frame is numbered to another gun. It is what it is, poor quality control.

I have 2 “Z” guns as well, these were colts sold with known flaws which I am guessing were cosmetic and shoot fine. Both guns were bought below the going rate and are fine with me.
I own 1 Z gun as well which was an employee gun. The Z stamp was used when Colt sold a gun as used. The guns were sold with no warranty. The Z was to let Colt know if the gun ever came back with a warranty concern that the gun was sold with no warranty. Z stamp guns could have been demos, show guns, factory salesman samples, custom employee guns and even customer buy backs. All got run through product service before they were sold to make sure they were ok and that (product service) is who stamped the Z on the guns.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Sometimes when something is built special it will have a roll mark that does not otherwise make sense. Did a new build a used a new factory had it discontinued "enhanced model flat topside" that I prefer and had a "100 year" roll mark lol on it. Kind of a novelty.

·
Registered
10,533 Posts
You're probably going to see a lot of poor QC from a lot of different companies these days. The industry has been so bad a lot of companies are probably working with skeleton crews just to stay in business.

21 - 40 of 70 Posts