Colt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Probably more than you ever wanted to see of early 70's Colt Sheffield Knives and the Colt Folding Knife. 1971 catalog depicts knives available and wholesale dealer catalog lists prices, retail and dealer, on a few revolvers and the knives. They were somewhat over-priced for the time, and were discontinued after several years.

1971 catalog cover

Colt knives photo

Colt dealer pricing 1972

Random page in price list.

Page showing knife prices.

Colt folder, designed by Barry Wood. Initially lowest priced, but now very desireable, probably $300-400.

Another view with box. Same pattern as handgun boxes of that era.

3 1/2" Trapper or Skinner. All also came in maroon velvet bags with drawstring.

6" General camping knife, Bish design with sheath.

5 1/2" forged guard general purpose knife.

7" forged guard general camping knife. (Actually just slightly over 6".)

5 1/2" models with proper boxes.

Bulk pack boxes used on last production, knives were still in velvet bags with sheaths, but no individual boxes.

Another view of the 6" Bish design.

Six of the 5 1/2" forged guard models.

The entire collection. All have bags and sheathes.

Any of the above found selling for less than $100 in excellent or better condition should be bought, they are all worth 2-3 times that amount. As you can see by the packaging, and the quality, and their listing in the Colt catalog, they are not to be compared to anything sold currently as a "Colt Knife".

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Re: Colt knives and 1971 era catalog pictures.

Picked this one up for just under $50.

Colt Ridge Runner.

·
Registered
108 Posts

I'm glad to see it return as well since I haven't been able to track down any information on this Colt CT7 Knife I found. John

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

John: Your knife is in the "Colt Memorabilia Price Guide" by John Ogle. It is called " CT7-B Serengeti Skinner". It was available also non-serrated CT-7, and non-serrated with stag handle, CT-7S. The value listed is $55-$112., but this book is several years old, probably more now...

·
Registered
689 Posts

A couple of Bowie's...

/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Premium Member
4,473 Posts
The early Colt folding knife (sometimes called the "Tuckaway") was designed and made by Barry Wood of Venice California. There were at least three major variations of this knife. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who would like to discuss these knives and also the Olsen knives sold by Colt at about the same time. The Olson knives are the ones shown at the bottm of the catalog page in the first post of this string. Please feel free to contact me directly at [email protected]
- Bruce Buckner

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Colt 1860 Army Revolver folding-knife by Franklin Mint

Holy cr.. , this works...

Be warned, Gunsmoke has invested in a digital camera...

·
Premium Member
4,473 Posts
Colt Knife Stories

I have been actively collecting the early Colt knives (Barry Wood, Sheffield and Olsen) for a while and I recently had a conversation with a fellow who had an extensive collection of them. He thinks that the sheaths for the knives (at least for the Barry Wood pattern) were made by Alfonso's of Hollywood, makers of fast draw holster rigs and other leather goods. He bases this opinion on the fact that he has such a sheath stamped with that name. I have about a dozen of the Barry Wood pattern folding knives with sheaths and none of them are stamped with anything but Colt, but it's an interested story.
Also, he told me that the three knives that were made by Olsen for Colt are so scarce because the early deliveries to Colt did not meet their specfications and were returned. Subsequently, a fire broke out at the Olsen plant and most of these knives were destroyed.
I have noticed that there are many more of the Sheffield made knives around than the Olsens, so maybe this story has some truth in it.
One thing that has always puzzled me is that the labels on the boxes for the knives had options for "black" and "brown". Various literature sources (Colt catalogs and John Ogle's book on Colt memorabilia) state that these indicated the handle color of the knife in the box. However, I have never seen any of these knives with a truly black handle. They did come with brown or black sheaths, so I have been assuming the the color option on the box actually referred to the sheath color. The handles did come in a light brown and a dark brown so maybe I am wrong afterall and the dark brown was supposed to be black.
Any other Colt knife collectors out there have any opinons on this?
- - -Bruce Buckner

·
Registered
324 Posts
That is an awesome assortment of knives! Glad this got bumped.
Here's the only knife I can add. I've had it for about ten or twelve years.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Found this at a gun/knife show years ago. I believe it originally came packaged with a Trooper Mark II. It's a Boker.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts