Colt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Original Colt from the late 1800's. Its a single action .45 like the gunfighters used. Barrel is I'd say between 4 1/2 and 5 1/2 inches. Its not a Bisley type. I know its been authenticated as an original one but I do know it has been replated nickel and think the grips have been changed. Is in good shape, function etc. I'm new here so please bear with me. It was in my dads estate. I have no idea whats its worth. Any help on a rough idea value would be appreciated...Thanks

·
Registered
283 Posts
Since it is a debt owed by your sister take the Colt, and consider the debt paid. It will turn out to be a blessing, more valuable than the gun or the debt, to both your sister and you.

Reactions: Dave_T and lounick

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Not original if its been replated, measure from the front face of the cylinder out for barrel length. depends on how much she owes you for the debt.[1000.00 to 1500.00 depending on the condition of the gun. pictures needed to get a fair value...........................................M*

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
As stated by others no way to estimate value in any reliable way without good pictures and additional info such as Sn, stampings, condition of metal and finish. Also who did the authentificaion and what did they authenticate? For example if the Colt has all original major parts, has sharp metal edges and markings, was period re-nickeled and shows pleasing wear from honest use and not abuse, you will find many who will pay much more than the estimates above for that Colt.

·
Premium Member
20,528 Posts
I dont have it to look at that. What does that mean?...Thanks

On a 4-3/4" barreled SAA the ejector rod housing is virtually the same length as the barrel. If barrel extends beyond the ejector rod housing, it is likely a 5-1/2" barrel unless it has been cut to some intermediate length.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
How do you tell if its a Colt SA from the 1800's
More important than being from the 1800's would be does it meet the definition of being "antique"--e.g., is it pre-1899. If the serial number is under 182,000, then it would qualify as an antique.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My dad has had this Colt for a long time and hes been gone since 2000. After I got to see it again I now remember SS# is gone. I know for certain he did not remove the # and doubt he knew it was suppose to have a #..That could indicate a couple of reasons as why no #. Antique and Modern in Lex Ky said it was the early version Colt by cocking the pistol. This was told to a family member several years back. Hope these pics help with some sort of a rough value. I'm gonna put some more up also...Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Original Colt from the late 1800's. Its a single action .45 like the gunfighters used. Barrel is I'd say between 4 1/2 and 5 1/2 inches. Its not a Bisley type. I know its been authenticated as an original one but I do know it has been replated nickel and think the grips have been changed. Is in good shape, function etc. I'm new here so please bear with me. It was in my dads estate. I have no idea whats its worth. Any help on a rough idea value would be appreciated...Thanks
400.00 for real pearl grips. Heavily buff an refinished gun 1000.00. IMO No serial is a bit of a legal problem.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts