Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Colt late 1940\'s Commercial Government .45 mag

Looking for exactly how the base plate stampings were done on a late 1940's Colt commercial Government .45 acp

·
Premium Member
9,471 Posts
Re: Colt late 1940\'s Commercial Government .45 mag

Some of the early Post-War Government Models used up Pre-War parts so there can be a factory variety of parts vintages on one gun.

How late in the "late 1940s" is your gun? Once the "mixed parts" guns were out of the system, probably about 1947-1948, "real" Post-War production begun.

The only O-Frame I have of that era is an early 1950 Commander. Its magazine is marked in two lines, with "COLT" on the first line, centered above ".45 AUTO." (the period is there after "AUTO.") on the second line. As far as I know, that same wording was used for years until the Rampant Colt trademark was added to the same language, probably in the 1980s or so.

There was a difference in the bodies during the life of that style of marking, however. The magazine with my Commander does not have the drain hole at the toe that is found on later magazines.

I believe the above information is correct, but, since I did not buy my Commander new, it is possible its magazine is incorrect. However, wondering about that myself, I had the seller of another early Commander send me a picture of the magazine in that gun and it matched mine exactly. I had another early Commander that I traded away, and it had the same style of markings as I recall.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
9,471 Posts

After seeing Dickster's reply to Flusher on the "Wanted" forum, I am questioning my recollection of how my early Commander magazine is marked. (Does it really have the decimal point ahead of "45?") I will try to remember to check next time I am near the Commander.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

JudgeColt
Actually it's a 1951 Government

I have been told that the 1950's mags. have no decimal point or period and that the 1960's have both period and decimal point.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,471 Posts

I have yet to dig out my 1950 Commander to check its magazine.

Do one or both of the magazines pictured have the drain hole at the front just above the base plate?

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

[ QUOTE ]
I have yet to dig out my 1950 Commander to check its magazine.

Do one or both of the magazines pictured have the drain hole at the front just above the base plate?

[/ QUOTE ]

NO

·
Premium Member
9,471 Posts

I finally dug out my early Commander and the magazine in it, which I believe to be correct, but may not be since I have not owned the gun since new. I had another early Commander and I compared the magzines for condition before I traded one of the Commanders. I am quite sure I would have noticed any difference between the two, and there was none as I recall.

My early Commander magazine has the period before the "45" and after the "AUTO." It has no drain hole. My Pre-War full blue magazine has no periods before or after. My Commander magazine therefore does not seem to square with the above picture.

Anybody else have late 1940s to early 1950s magazines that can be compared?

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

According to Charles Clawson
1950-1960 mags are stamped
COLT
45 AUTO.

with a period after AUTO and nothing before 45

1 - 8 of 8 Posts