Colt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hoping someone could help me. I recently purchased a Colt Lawman 2in blue. I’m having trouble finding original grips at a reasonable price. The gun is the J frame with rounded butt. I think originally it had the small service style grips. The grips I seem to be finding are for the square butt frame. Has anyone purchased square butt grips and customized them to fit the round butt frame? Or is there a better solution to my problem? Thank you for your time

·
Registered
196 Posts
I recently bought and later sold a Lawman MKIII. It was NIB with all the accessories so I stashed the grips and looked for replacements. I found original factories on the internet and they were bid up quite quickly. BUT, if you want factory replacements be patient and look often and you will probably find a pair cheap enough.

As an alternative I bought a couple of sets of aftermarket (Jay Scott) standard squarebutt MKIII grips. They fit the roundbutt perfectly but needed to be ground down and polished to fit the round butt. Not difficult to do if one has the few tools necessary.

As an addition; the factory grips are made of a soft wood. If yours are mint you might want to pull them and save them for when you sell the gun.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The 2" Lawman stocks are indeed unique because the grip frame is. They pop up every now and then on eBay, online gun auctions or the Classifieds here, but have become a bit pricey. Some like aftermarket stocks made by Jim Badger among others and will probably post their suggestions and preferences. :)

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
What year is your Lawman? Early '76 and earlier had silver medallions and late '76 and later had gold medallions. '76 was the transition year from silver to gold medallions on the MKIII's.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I found a used set from KY IMPORTS of Louisville KY. $30 + shipping and included the screw. They had several pair more.

Colt Lawman

·
Registered
33 Posts
What year is your Lawman? Early '76 and earlier had silver medallions and late '76 and later had gold medallions. '76 was the transition year from silver to gold medallions on the MKIII's.
Thanks for this bit of info. I have a 2" that dates to '76, and I wondered if the silver medallions were correct. Always good info around here, even when you're not expecting it.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
If you want new old stock grips post it in the WTB section of the classified section.There is a gentleman that sells them here who I have brought from in the past but can't remember his forum name.....Mike

·
Premium Member
3,036 Posts
If you want new old stock grips post it in the WTB section of the classified section.There is a gentleman that sells them here who I have brought from in the past but can't remember his forum name.....Mike
I think you are referring to dback13

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Yep I am Thanks for the refresher.I remembered his given name but not screen name.He got me 2 sets of New old stock version 2 D.S. grips and grips for 2 1/2 inch Python for one of my friends......Mike

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I recently bought and later sold a Lawman MKIII. It was NIB with all the accessories so I stashed the grips and looked for replacements. I found original factories on the internet and they were bid up quite quickly. BUT, if you want factory replacements be patient and look often and you will probably find a pair cheap enough.

As an alternative I bought a couple of sets of aftermarket (Jay Scott) standard squarebutt MKIII grips. They fit the roundbutt perfectly but needed to be ground down and polished to fit the round butt. Not difficult to do if one has the few tools necessary.

As an addition; the factory grips are made of a soft wood. If yours are mint you might want to pull them and save them for when you sell the gun.
Thanks for the advice. I’ll keep an eye out for some. Time is something hopefully I have a lot of. Money I know I’m always short on. : )

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Welcome to the forum. The 2" Lawman stocks are indeed unique because the grip frame is. They pop up every now and then on eBay, online gun auctions or the Classifieds here, but have become a bit pricey. Some like aftermarket stocks made by Jim Badger among others and will probably post their suggestions and preferences. :)
Thanks for welcoming me to the forum. Looks like a bunch of good people here and lots of knowledge.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I’m not sure on the year yet. I pick the gun up from the dealer Tuesday. The state of IL sure is great. Thanks for passing on your knowledge about the medallions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks. I’ll try the WTB section. Hopefully he’ll have some in my price range.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts