Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, got this thrown into a trade the other day, seems to be a nice shooter, but has a lot of high spot bluing wear. My question is this, do you think it might have enough value to trade for a nice Detective Special? And if not, what would be a fair value on it. Thanks all for any input.
Jason

·
Banned
15,890 Posts
It would absolutely have enough value to make a trade.
The snubby Lawman is getting up there in value and the demand for a snubby Magnum Colt is also growing.

Today, I'd have to think long and hard about carrying a Detective Special if I had a Lawman available.

·
Registered
9,547 Posts
I wish I could find one of those out here when I have the money to buy it. They can't come into the state. I looked at one once and that hammer seemed to go back a mile to reach full cock. I like that cylinder rim that gives the appearance of counter bored chambers. The one I saw three years ago looked exactly like yours, even the finish, and was $499.

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
I just sold one thats 98% on GB. It went for 650.00 alot lower that I thought. While they are nice.. they have alot more bulk to carry and weight than the DS. IMOP anyway.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
In that condition around $450=475. Great revolvers . I just picked up a nickel one for $599 . 97 %, but does not have original grips. I would keep it.

·
Registered
9,547 Posts
I just sold one thats 98% on GB. It went for 650.00 alot lower that I thought. While they are nice.. they have alot more bulk to carry and weight than the DS. IMOP anyway.
I would just want one because I thing they are sinister looking. But if I ever found one it would never replace my S&W 3" Model 13.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Value for value the snub Lawman should come out ahead. But for carry use I would not trade you my DS. I had a pristine example snub Lawman in my hand a couple of years ago (private sale gun show walk-around) and did not bite. It was just too big and did not "feel" good to me. For that role (fixed sight snub magnum) I have a Ruger SP101 and a Ruger Speed Six. Sorry to post that on the Colt forum, please don't banish me!

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
nice revolver I think I would keep that one and shoot it at the range. also would make a good house gun. I like the snub lawman mk III.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It was just too big and did not "feel" good to me
Thats my only concern, I'm a small guy 5'7 and this thing is a monster in my hand compared to a DS or SW36. Well I will post it up for trades after I shoot it today and ensure quality.

Thanks guys for all the input, I really value and appreciate it!

Jason

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'll be watching to see what it goes for. I have one in nickel thats about 98% that I'm thinking about selling. Got too many snubbys and dont carry one so thay just sit around. Great shooter though.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I own and have carried both. The Lawman is hard to fit to a holster and very heavy and bulky by comparison. I am a big boy at about 300# and eventually it wore me down to EDC of the DS instead. It is however a formidable wheelgun and if full house magnums through a snubby call to you, this is your answer. I have no doubt that I could sell one a bit higher than a similar condition "third series" DS. Collectors of early DS may go higher for a first.

·
Registered
9,547 Posts
I own and have carried both. The Lawman is hard to fit to a holster and very heavy and bulky by comparison. I am a big boy at about 300# and eventually it wore me down to EDC of the DS instead. It is however a formidable wheelgun and if full house magnums through a snubby call to you, this is your answer. I have no doubt that I could sell one a bit higher than a similar condition "third series" DS. Collectors of early DS may go higher for a first.
I made a holster for a snub Lawman. It was very tricky since I had to use my 4" Python as a model, but it worked out. I like both early and late versions of the Lawman but would probably prefer the later model with extractor shroud. Here's that Lawman rig.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Here's my Lawman MkIII Snubby with my Cobra for a size comparison. While bigger then the Cobra and heavier I usually carry a Combat Commander or full-sized Government Model so the weight isn't an issue for me. I found an original Jackass Shoulder Holster Rig that the Lawman fits in as if it were custom made...

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Keep the DS and buy the Lawman Mk III.

Then get a Cobra or two.

Here is how I do it.

Pocket carry.

'77 Cobra

Jacket pocket carry

'77 Lawman Mk III

Open carry. Gotta show this one off.

'64 Nickel Cobra

Steve McQueen Bullitt carry

'67 2 1/2" Diamondback

·
Registered
107 Posts
Lawman's are just tought to find. DS's are common. However there isn't that much of a difference in price for the blue ones. So just do what you will make you happy.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
I never found the Lawman 2 incher a big deal to carry and I am 170. It will fit in most S&W 19 or 2 1/2 inch Python holsters. While not a lightweight it is not bad ,and more compact than the competition. Makes a pretty good woods walking gun in the Northeast. Back in my younger days , I would carry the Lawman in an IWB Desantis holster. It is a soft shooting 357, and can stand up to a steady diet of 357. Not a big Ayoob fan ,but on one point I agree , a 2 inch revolver the size of the Lawman makes a good home defense revolver, Visually intimidating , easy to hang on to, and easy to shoot. You could do a lot worse ,and not much better.Just picked up a nickel one ,if anyone has a set of the round butt factory grips ,I am looking to shed the rubber ones.

·
Premium Member
6,209 Posts
I would agree that its a very good house gun or maybe duty gun if allowed. Hitting someone on the head with any part of the gun for non lethal use would also work. For the weight of a 2 in lawman, you could pack 2 cobras. I wont get rid of mine because its somewhat fun to fire some .357 every now and then out of a 2 in. barrel.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I've had several of Lawman snubby MkIIIs over the years but have traded them all away except for these two. Used to see them semi regularly for $350-400 back in early 2000s.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts