Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was in my LGS yesterday, and saw a Colt Lawman MK III. No box, but in perfect condition. Would be a definite 98% or better condition. Like NIB, but no box. Serial # would put it at a 1976 manufacturer. Wants $800. for it out the door and won't budge, even with cash. Have no pic, but trust me, this gun is totally pristine, from the blueing to the stocks. Was tempted, but then I thought I would run it by you guys for opinions. I'm down on the west coast of Florida and know that prices vary around the country, so what do you all think on the pricing? Look forward to hearing from you all. Don't want to pass on it if you all think it is a "fair price". Whatever that means??

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
It's about twice what I would pay for it on the west coast of Florida, unless it is a 2" nickel. Then it would be only $200 high. :cool:

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Have to agree with A1A. I have a 2 exceptional blue that I paid $450 and a MINT Nickel that I paid $700. Great guns that both look and shoot fantastic! Pics of mine and others are posted on a similar thread about a month ago.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I bought a 2" blue, minty Lawman mk111 for $420 last year. Last month found a 4" mk v in very good cond for $400. I guess thats not the norm, but if you keep watching, they can surely be had for less then $800.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A1A, Primer88, Jcolt: Appreciate the quick response and insight. Am fairly new to collecting Colt DA's and don't want to make costly mistakes due to the "Colt fever". Almost committed to the buy yesterday, and then my common sense kicked in and thought I had better wait on you guys. Appreciate all your advice and solid opinions. Learning something new every day.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I guess the price seems high but in many cases it is what the buyer us willing to spend. I just sold a 2 inch Lawman Mark III for a very similar price. There are several advertised on various sites but most have flaws. The prices you see others saying the paid are probably a thing of the past.

·
Registered
438 Posts
It is quite common for someone to want NIB, Desirable Barrel length type money for a common variant gun without the box and sporting the wrong grips! Discipline! Once somebody pays such a seller his high price just once it only encourages him!

·
Premium Member
3,488 Posts
Wow, That kind of money won't touch one here in southern Arizona. I sold 2 last year at local shows. One was about 95% with no box that I sold for $750. The other was LNIB and sold for $850. These were both 2" Blued guns. I now have a LNIB 2" Nickel gun that I'm sure will bring $1000 this fall...

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Interesting comments guys. As I mentioned this 4" Lawman is pristine. Wish it had a box, but sometimes can't have everything. This "Colt fever" can sometimes be bad, throw in having some discretionary dollars and you can have a (?????) situation. Have been looking at some on Gunbroker and none come close in condition. They are priced less, but what is that old saying, "nice costs money". All your comments and thoughts are great. Now I just got to figure out what to do. Spring for the extra bucks and get a super nice gun, or keep lookings. Dang, this sometimes is not easy.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Wow, That kind of money won't touch one here in southern Arizona. I sold 2 last year at local shows. One was about 95% with no box that I sold for $750. The other was LNIB and sold for $850. These were both 2" Blued guns. I now have a LNIB 2" Nickel gun that I'm sure will bring $1000 this fall...
The 2" Lawman, being a sort of super DS in 357, is a much less common and more desirable collectible than the rather boring and common 4" Lawman.

Again, Snakeman 99, patience and discipline are your friends.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Just buy it....If it is one you want and can afford it.....If you are looking to flip it then walk....but if you don't find them very often then take it home and be happy with it.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
gkitch: never thought of the 2" Lawman (357 cal.) being a bulked up DS. Liked the analogy. Also, making me aware that the 2" is a more desirable collectible is good information. As I mentioned, I am kind of new at collecting DA's, so all this information is most helpful.

B.C.: You make a good point. I can afford it and if it makes me happy, why not. Thanks !! Won't be the first time I have overpaid for something. This I might just enjoy.

Appreciate all the info from all of you across the forum. Hopefully others may have been following this thread and picked up some valuable information. If so, that in itself is a good thing.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
gkitch: never thought of the 2" Lawman (357 cal.) being a bulked up DS. Liked the analogy. Also, making me aware that the 2" is a more desirable collectible is good information. As I mentioned, I am kind of new at collecting DA's, so all this information is most helpful.

B.C.: You make a good point. I can afford it and if it makes me happy, why not. Thanks !! Won't be the first time I have overpaid for something. This I might just enjoy.
Appreciate all the info from all of you across the forum. Hopefully others may have been following this thread and picked up some valuable information. If so, that in itself is a good thing.
The MKIII is a larger snub than the DS but that's where the similarities stop. TheMKIII is no where close or similiar to a DS. Totally different actions and internal lockwork.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I picked up this Lawman snubbie almost three years ago. No box, correct grips. It was priced at $500.00. I don't have any heartburn with the price. It seemed fair to me.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
mafd2: Thanks for the clarification on the difference between a MK III and DS. Still learning, so this is most helpful. As for what I am going to do, going to sleep on it and make a decision tomorrow. Will keep you guys posted. That purty Colt sure is attractive, but costly. Guess that also applies to cars, etc.......

1 - 20 of 41 Posts