Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

New here and just joined up. Other than my post in the new members section this is my first post on this site. Kind of wanted some input on a Lawman MKIII that I just picked up today. The gun looks pretty clean and locks up like a bank vault. It's a 2 inch an in nickel and has the original smaller style wood grips Serial Number is L33XX. I spent $375.00 for it. Did I do ok? I only have owned two other Colts one a Cobra which I foolishly sold and the other an old Python which I'll never sell! You folks have the knowledge so let me know how I did. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

All the best,

Wolfgang

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,703 Posts
L33XX was made in 1976.
The "L" series began that year, and started at L1001.
The year ended at L38900.

Nickel plated 2" Lawman revolvers are not common, so the price is probably a good one.

The lawman is an extraordinarily tough, strong revolver.
The Mark III series, of which the Lawman is one, are very possible the strongest mid-frame revolvers ever built.

The only "watch-out" is to use snap caps if you dry fire.
The firing pin "might" break, and replacement is a factory-ONLY job.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info dfariswheel, Interesting to know that it was manufactured in 1976. I got to shoot it a few times today and although you know it's a .357 going off it is not in the least bit punishing to shoot. I didn't really have a lot of time nor was the weather very cooperative so I didn't shoot it much. The trigger feels really nice and the single action is crisp. (Not the same trigger as is on my Python but I've never felt one that good on anything other than a friends S&W which had extensive work done to it to make it that way. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif) I've never owned nor cleaned a nickeled gun before. I just wiped it down with an oil cloth after todays short session. Is there anything special I need to know so I don't wreck the finish? I had read someplace in the past that you should not use certain gun cleaning solvents. I've also heard that Flitz and some types of automotive polish are good for cleaning. The finish on the gun is not perfect but it is in nice shape and I sure don't want to do anything to hurt it.

Thanks,
Wolfgang

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,703 Posts
Many powder solvents can harm the nickel finish, and the really aggressive copper solvents like Sweet's 7.62 and others like it can cause harm faster.

All you need to do is just NOT allow the solvents to soak on the finish.

Buy a good standard solvent like Hoppe's, clean the gun the way you normally do, and wipe the solvent off the finish as soon as you're done.

Don't allow the solvent to stay on the nickel and soak. Keep it wiped off.

People hear about solvents harming the nickel plating and some of them don't use a solvent at all for fear of damaging the finish.

Sometimes they do more harm NOT cleaning the gun properly than any possible solvent damage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts