Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone give me any info on the Colt Lawman 357 with a 2" barrel? What kind of shooters were they? That kind of stuff.
Regards
Dave /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Not sure just what you mean by what kind of shooters, but the J frame is one of the sturdiest guns you could buy. If you mean action, they're not hand fitted Pythons as they were designed for less labor intensive production, but they are adequately smooth for the purposes of a 2 inch gun and the action can be lightened (with testing for reliable firing) with aftermarket trigger and hammer springs. The 2 inch has a unique grip frame with a rounded back strap. I like them. Have three. One of these now has original stocks like the blue. :cool:

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,800 Posts
There were three versions of the Colt Lawman with the 2" barrel.

The first model was the Lawman Mark III with an exposed ejector rod.

The second version had a shrouded ejector rod and a different front sight. This barrel looked like an enlarged Detective Special barrel.

The third version was the Lawman Mark V, which looked like the Mark III, but was built on the upgraded Mark V action.

The Mark III versions have a grip frame unique to it, and it ALONE. NO other Colt grip will fit and no one made aftermarket grips for it, except on a custom basis.

Holsters too are hard to find due to the 2" barrel length.

The guns were STRONG, durable guns, and were very high quality.
Muzzle blast with the 2" barrel is FEROCIOUS with full-Magnum ammo, but due to the size and weight, it's easier to control than smaller guns.

As a concealed gun, these require a holster due to the weight, and the large diameter cylinder makes it a little more difficult to conceal.
The gun makes up for this with it's controllable power.
It's been justly described as a giant-sized, extra-powerful Colt Detective Special.

Like most Colt's, including the "snubby" models, the Lawman is noted for better accuracy, higher quality, and is totally reliable.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I carried one for most of my LEO career, either as a backup in uniform or as my primary in plain clothes and off-duty. Even with the 2" barrel it was accurate enough to easily qualify. About 12 years ago I had a 4" bull barrel installed on it. With the stock grips and a Tyler T-Grip it is one of the the most controllable .357s I have ever fired with full house magnum loads and a sweetheart with .38 +Ps.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a 2" with the shrouded ejector. I shoot .357 125gr JHP in it and the shape of the grip handles the recoil better than some of my other .357 with longer barrels and more weight.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I don't mean to hijack this thread but is the four inch Lawman Mark 111 a J frame?You can get Ajax target grips for it so we are probably talking about a different frame than the two incher...Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts