Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently received an authentication letter. It has informed me of some very interesting facts concerning my SAA Sheriffs Model. Included was the name of the recipient company but the address is listed as "unavailable."
Through some research, I have found the location and history of that company.
Incredible old six gun with possible historic significance as it was a special order First generation (black powder frame) sent to the Arizona Territory.
Is it possible to get a corrected letter with this information by providing the information and source to Colt History Archives?
Has anyone had any experience getting a corrected letter? John

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
I have a Model 1909 letter that had the wrong shipping date...7 years wrong.
I called Paul and told him what was going on. He was very helpful and after exchanging a couple of emails I had my corrected letter in 2-3 weeks.

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
Correcting a mistake is not the OP’s issue.

The archive letter reflects what the documents available to the historians in the archives provide. If the address shows as unavailable, it wasn’t there. Asking them to put their signature under additional info that comes from elsewhere is quite a different thing than correcting a bona fide mistake.

It’ll be interesting to see what Paul says about this.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Paul has addressed this before on the Forum. On a case by case basis, if they are presented with credible information to correct a shipping destination, they will do it.

For example, for years there were Colt revolvers listed in factory letters in the days leading up to the Civil War as being shipped to Peter Williams and Co. of Richmond, VA, but nobody could find any reference to such a company. It turns out the correct name of the organization is Williams, Peters and Co.

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
Paul has addressed this before on the Forum. On a case by case basis, if they are presented with credible information to correct a shipping destination, they will do it.
Yes, but the OP has made it quite clear that this not the issue. He would like his additional research included in the letter, not have wrong information corrected.

Since the letter states specifically “the historical information, retrieved from the original Colt shipping records”, I would expect it to turn out as Ronald and Saintclair said.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Yes, but the OP has made it quite clear that this not the issue. He would like his additional research included in the letter, not have wrong information corrected.

Since the letter states specifically “the historical information, retrieved from the original Colt shipping records”, I would expect it to turn out as Ronald and Saintclair said.

Here's a portion of Paul's post from 3/20/2015.
https://www.coltforum.com/forums/lounge/86396-colt-archives-20.html

We do run into the situation of an "unavailable" address relatively often. We will do our best to translate what the handwritten ledgers say, and then try and Google up the individuals, hardware stores, gun dealers, etc, often times to no avail. Many of our collectors (especially Texas guys), however, have come back to us with supporting documentation (whether it be newspaper articles, census records, etc.) and have had us update their letters with addresses and helped us update our already lengthy, but also incomplete address book. Many of the addresses were not specified in the handwritten ledgers and have been accumulated through our own and independent research for years.

Reactions: Absalom

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
Well, that sounds promising. If the OP’s documentation passes muster, updating the letter should indeed be possible. Good to know for future reference.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts