Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got the letter I ordered on my HPD inscribed DS. If I'm reading the letter correctly, it looks like
the customer picked up the guns at the factory rather them than being shipped. This makes sense as
Holyoke, MA is only about 25 miles from Hartford.

Was this at all unusual back then, or could just anyone pick up a Factory order?
Thanks,
rhloew

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
Unless I'm reading it incorrectly, Mr. Thornton of Colt's, delivered the shipment of 5 Detective Specials to the Holyoke Police Department.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting. My interpretation was because of the Address noted, that of the Colt Factory at Hartford. I can see Mr. Thornton "delivering" the guns at the factory, That is giving them to the police rep. Why else would the letter show an "Address" as a caption?

·
Registered
626 Posts
Found where there was a Fenner W. Thornton employed by Colt as an inspector and also a gun tester in the 1930s to 1950s.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I think the letter should state that H.P.D. was inscribed on butt, but it does not. Do you Think it was done by Holyoke P.D. or just not documented by Colt?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would think that the Holyoke P D must have engraved the gun themselves. If it was factory, I think the letter would say so.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts