Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 1919 Colt 1903 Pocket Hammer pistol that has K 48 stamp on the right front trigger guard, ,I know the K usually means it was sent back to Colt for repair or service. If you order a Colt letter which would give me the manufacture date and the shipping date would it also list the repairs made when it was returned for service? Thanks in advance. Jim

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
This is my early First Model 1903 (c1904) that was send back to Colt and was refinished with a later blue and re-stamped slide around the period 1912 -1916 that used the Rampant Colt standing on a Globe. Note the "K" stamp on the RH front trigger guard. Apparently it also had a brand new barrel installed, along with the magazine also re done with later two-tone finish. Period Colt MOP grips from that period were also added (original grips retained). All in all, a very interesting 1903. In this case it is obvious a factory return mark. Jackson.

Trigger Line Air gun Gun accessory Gas

Air gun Trigger Everyday carry Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
Every pre-war Colt semi-automatic pistol I've encountered with a "K" on the upper right flat of the trigger guard has been returned to the factory for repair, refinish or both. In the early days, (1900 - to at least 1909 and not sure how much after), these guns were not marked when returned to the factory.

Here's an early Colt 1903 Pocket Hammerless .32 ACP that was originally shipped in 1903 and returned to the factory for repair in July 1906 (shown with the original factory repair record):

Air gun Grey Trigger Gun barrel Revolver
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Revolver

Some might look at this gun and note that the slide lock safety is too late for a gun this early because is has the opposing safety screw. But looking at the repair record below, you will see that the safety was changed to the one being used in 1906, which is why it now has a safety screw.

Handwriting Rectangle Font Writing Paper
Font Handwriting Paper Paper product Document

·
Premium Member
5,597 Posts
I have 1919 Colt 1903 Pocket Hammer pistol that has K 48 stamp on the right front trigger guard, ,I know the K usually means it was sent back to Colt for repair or service. If you order a Colt letter which would give me the manufacture date and the shipping date would it also list the repairs made when it was returned for service? Thanks in advance. Jim
Colt letters usually do not include later repairs or changes. But it does happen.

I have an 1883 Colt SAA 7-1/2" that was originally shipped as a 44-40, then was returned for a change to a 45, and returned to the original buyer.

I have a 1904 Colt SAA 41 x 7-1/2" that was shipped to Browning Bros, and then 6 years later was returned and shipped to Simmons Hdwe with same config.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts