Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some time ago, I sent a request for a colt letter on a 1905 Single Action Army that I have. Gave my credit card number and was told that they would start the research. I have heard nothing since, no comments or updates or any communications from Colt at all. Is this typical? Should I keep my mouth shut and just wait for the letter. I believe that they said that it could take a while to do all of the research, I just don't want to get lost in the shuffle.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
"Some time ago" isn't very definitive. A "typical" letter seems to be running 120-150 days +/- though we occasionally hear of someone getting one in less than 90.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I received my last 2 in 96 days. you should have received a confirmation post card about 2 weeks after you sent or called in your order. If you did not receive the confirmation it may be lost if you did then just be patient.

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
Unless you've been waiting over 4 months I would just be patient. I doubt your request has been lost in the shuffle.

Colt does not send updates via email or snail mail about the research. The only update you would receive perhaps 3-4 weeks after your request is a mailed notice informing you of precisely what MtnSpur said - it will take 120-150 days, and that they have verified your payment. I don't recall any notification when the research was completed and mailed. It was just sent. If you never received the notice I mentioned, then perhaps you may want to call them, as that is a standard procedure. Pardon me, but did you make sure to give them your mailing address?

·
Registered
862 Posts
You should have received a post card back from Colt shortly after providing them with the model type and serial number of your pistol. On the card will be Colt's best guessimate of how long it will take them to put the letter together. If you have not received the card a call back to them I think is in order. If you have received the comfirmation post card all you can do is wait unless you wish to pay the extra fee for an expidited letter. If I recall correctly I believe that the waiting period last time I ordered a letter a year or so ago was 4-5 months. You will know when your letter's ETA is close because a charge will appear on your credit card statement. Remember Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither is anything Colt does now a days (if you don't believe me just try ordering a SAA thru the Custom Shop). :mad::bang_wall::D:p

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
I seem to always be in a rush when asking for an archive letter and use the expedited telephone service. Cost more but I receive the information via a telephone call within 3 days and the hard copy within 2 weeks. Also a plus to get to visit with Joe Canali @ Colt.

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
I sent my info on four revolvers in and paid by credit card on March 25th and on the 31st received a small note from them via mail stating current delivery time is 120-150 days..... be patient. Did you not receive any correspondence from them stating they received all your information?

·
Premium Member
4,488 Posts
You guys are more patient than me.....I go ahead and pay the expedited fee of $150 minus 10% for colt collector's association membership on my prewar single actions. I get immediate information and a letter in less than 2 weeks.

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
You guys are more patient than me.....I go ahead and pay the expedited fee of $150 minus 10% for colt collector's association membership on my prewar single actions. I get immediate information and a letter in less than 2 weeks.
Maybe not. Some of you guys have much deeper pockets than I do! :)

·
Premium Member
4,488 Posts
Maybe not. Some of you guys have much deeper pockets than I do! :)
With an average run of the mill prewar single action bringing easily in excess of $2000 now a days $135 is a pretty small expense!

It's a .45% percentage on a decent factory engraved prewar gun! :p

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
The trick is to order the letter (expedited @ $135-$150) each time you get a new Single Action and not wait until you have a safe full that need letters and find that you have to sell one just to pay for the Archive Service! :D

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
With an average run of the mill prewar single action bringing easily in excess of $2000 now a days $135 is a pretty small expense!

It's a .45% percentage on a decent factory engraved prewar gun! :p
You are missing my point.
I can't afford 2K SAAs. If you can afford them, you obviously can afford about a half a point more for the letters.

More power to you :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the Input

I guess I should follow my own advice and just shut up and wait. Thanks to all who replied....

·
Registered
487 Posts
I called from oz two weeks ago, and Paul got back to me via email within 1 hour with all the info,my card has been charged and im expecting the hard copy any day now.Excellant service i might say

·
Registered
624 Posts
I just saw that Colt Archives put the $75 charge on my credit card on 15 July so I expect to receive the letter soon. Ordered it the first week in April. My first Colt letter! Bill

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I just saw that Colt Archives put the $75 charge on my credit card on 15 July so I expect to receive the letter soon. Ordered it the first week in April. My first Colt letter! Bill
Don't be surprised if it doesn't arrive until September, the average letter time right now is 5 months.

·
Registered
11,718 Posts
It's a no-brainer to get a letter on an engraved gun or one with special features, but getting a letter on a $400/500 gun runs the percentage up considerably. On the Model 1911 and 1911A1 pistols virtually all of the information is easily available other than the exact shipping date after the pistols were no longer shipped in numerical serial number order, so not much to be gained in a factory letter on those.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.