Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I have a baby carbine with a 16 inch barrel, cal. 44-40, but when asked in the Colt archives the answer was that there was no production data for the serial numbers between 25000-50000. Unfortunately, my carbine is between them. Please if anyone has any information to share.

·
Premium Member
4,623 Posts
Hello everyone I have a baby carbine with a 16 inch barrel, cal. 44-40, but when asked in the Colt archives the answer was that there was no production data for the serial numbers between 25000-50000. Unfortunately, my carbine is between them. Please if anyone has any information to share. View attachment 740254 View attachment 740255 View attachment 740256
Is the front barrel band interchangeable with the one on the 20" carbine? It probably is. If so, then the barrel taper had to be increased from the usual 20" taper. That being said, your gun sure looks right! And the sling attachments too. Are there any proof marks, as if exported?

A rare little Colt Lightning SRC, Archives letter or not.

·
Premium Member
621 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Very nice carbine!
Wish I could help but I'm just jealous.
Is the front barrel band interchangeable with the one on the 20" carbine? It probably is. If so, then the barrel taper had to be increased from the usual 20" taper. That being said, your gun sure looks right! And the sling attachments too. Are there any proof marks, as if exported?

A rare little Colt Lightning SRC, Archives letter or not.
The front barrel band is not replaceable, the 20 "carbine has a larger barrel diameter. The barrel has only the standard markings, top address and patent dates, left side caliber ... all markings are identical to those of the 20" carbine

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Beautiful gun. I just acquired a standard length Lightning in .32. The gun also falls within the serial range whereby no records are available. What is the reason for the missing info. Also the lookup indicates a 1888 mfg date. Is that reliable?? Sorry for hijack.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Beautiful gun. I just acquired a standard length Lightning in .32. The gun also falls within the serial range whereby no records are available. What is the reason for the missing info. Also the lookup indicates a 1888 mfg date. Is that reliable?? Sorry for hijack.
I didn't know if all the records were missing or just some in that range. It is safest to ask. I will also ask because the other carbine is in the same range and I have several rifles.

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts

Pics Please

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Will do. Away for the weekend. Will post when I return. Beautiful rifle in excellent condition. Bore looks like very little use. Had snap-caps made up to verify it cycles properly - which it does, prior to buying.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts