Colt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a Baby recently. Everything is as it should be: 20" bbl. tapered , SN 18,XXX. etc. The one thing that's unusual is the there are no patent dates on the barrel. It has "+COLT'S PT. F.A. MRG. Co. HARTFORD, CT. U.S.A. +", but no second line w/ ELLIOTS PATENTS MAY 29, 1883, SEPT 18, 1883. As I said, everything else on the gun is exactly as it should be.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Didn't they leave them off the Baby Carbine to make it lighter?

Ok, ok, jokes over. Yes, according to the various reference books the patent dates should be there. My only GUESS would be one of those "factory errors" we hear about, or they were buffed off in a past cleaning or refinishing.

John Gross

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks John, I agree with "factory errors" concept. The gun was refinised-according to the previous owner done by Colt.very crisp. It shows no sign (under a big time magnafier) of the second line. I haven't taken the gun apartl. The ambersand on back of the trigger guard doesn't seem to be there-although there is some type of marking....just can't make it out There's a really good collector show this weekend in Lakeland Fl and I'll have some of the Colt guys take a look at it. Those I've spoken with seem to agree with factory error concept. There was another Lightning (Nickleled .22) available with the Baby. It was snapped up before I could take a shot it. Again, thanks for your input!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts