Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a nice Model 1877 in .38 D.A. the other day. It is an ejector model so has the short cylinder pin. The head of this cylinder pin, however, is not that two-stage knurled I have always seen on this model. There is no knurling and so I am thinking it might be a replacement. Anyone have an idea what an original replacement cylinder pin may cost, and a parts guy that might carry them. The Lightning is in very nice condition and appears all original, with this possible exception, so I really don't want a reproduction. Thanks for the view and any input or advise. (I'd have posted a photo but the whole thing is in a BreakFree bath at this point)

·
Registered
833 Posts
The two-stage knurled cylinder retaining pin would be correct for a M1877 w/ejector. It has been my experience that these type of pins are often beat up, and missing the knurling. They are sometimes hard to remove because of the weird angle imposed by the ejector housing. I have seen many with plier marks. I think I have a couple originals in my parts bin. If you can't find any originals, PM me & I'll take a look. They may be hard to find.

·
Premium Member
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The two-stage knurled cylinder retaining pin would be correct for a M1877 w/ejector. It has been my experience that these type of pins are often beat up, and missing the knurling. They are sometimes hard to remove because of the weird angle imposed by the ejector housing. I have seen many with plier marks. I think I have a couple originals in my parts bin. If you can't find any originals, PM me & I'll take a look. They may be hard to find.
I appreciate the info. Having seen some of the knurling on these plier-ravaged as well I initially thought maybe a previous owner just polished the damage off. Doesn't look like it though so figure it may just be a replacement from years back as it definitely has some age on it. I also appreciate the offer to look in your parts bin. I'll be starting to look around abit as it'll be coming out of the BreakFree bath here this weekend. I am hoping it'll shine up real nice and look good next to the Thunderer.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Picked up a nice Model 1877 in .38 D.A. the other day. It is an ejector model so has the short cylinder pin. The head of this cylinder pin, however, is not that two-stage knurled I have always seen on this model. There is no knurling and so I am thinking it might be a replacement. Anyone have an idea what an original replacement cylinder pin may cost, and a parts guy that might carry them. The Lightning is in very nice condition and appears all original, with this possible exception, so I really don't want a reproduction. Thanks for the view and any input or advise. (I'd have posted a photo but the whole thing is in a BreakFree bath at this point)
FYI --- For anyone looking for an original 1877 cylinder pin, There is currently one on ebay auction # 370809006172, Original's are fairly hard to come by.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts