Colt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm eyeing this Colt . The gentleman told me to make him an offer. For sale for $999.00. thoughts? The finish looks like it has a lot of little scratches.i didn't get many pics. I'm going back on Monday to take a look again.

Attachments

·
Registered
478 Posts
I bought an 1880s version of the same that had been re-nickeled for $200 more. It was a spur of the moment purchase but I still enjoy it. Your 1877 appears in better shape but I question the cylinder pin. The type in it generally came with 1877s that had the ejector. Those that didn't have the ejector generally came with a longer pin that is easier to grasp. I would be happy at $800. Your happiness may vary.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
From your pictures, that looks like original nickel to me! If so, $8-$900 would be a good price! I would think that some very careful polishing would eliminate a lot of the scratches. The big question is does it function properly in both SA and DA? If not, it can be fixed but the repair cost might be somewhat pricey!

·
Premium Member
1,264 Posts
Its not uncommon for M1877s to have issues with their actions.
Paul Persinger repaired my Model 1877. Repairs included welding and recutting the hammer. Functions as it should now.
Sal Lanara also does a great job on early Colt DAs.
Vic

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I bought an 1880s version of the same that had been re-nickeled for $200 more. It was a spur of the moment purchase but I still enjoy it. Your 1877 appears in better shape but I question the cylinder pin. The type in it generally came with 1877s that had the ejector. Those that didn't have the ejector generally came with a longer pin that is easier to grasp. I would be happy at $800. Your happiness may vary.
Great observation! The top of the cylinder pin Is carved to fit flush with the barrel. I wish I had gotten the serial number .

·
Registered
281 Posts
Is it a pre-1899? Usually they will have a higher value since they are considered an antique. The caliber roll stamping on the barrel and rampart colt stamp in the frame indicates it at least a 1890 or later year of manufacture. The screws, trigger hammer and cylinder pin nut look good.

I have read that some later production 1877's did use the ejector model cylinder pins. The ejectorless models also have a concave top on the cylinder pin.

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
I think some of the later guns came with short pin head.
the reason it looks like there are a lot of scratches is because of aggressive cleaning (sandpaper?)

·
Registered
691 Posts
I'm eyeing this Colt . The gentleman told me to make him an offer. For sale for $999.00. thoughts? The finish looks like it has a lot of little scratches.i didn't get many pics. I'm going back on Monday to take a look again.
You title says Thunderer which would be for a 41 cal the one pictured is a 38 nicknamed Lighting by one of the large retailers of the time.
Dennis

·
Registered
10 Posts
It’s hard to tell but is it possible those are wire brush marks from a dremel tool? Is it nickel? Or polished steel? Otherwise it looks good and $800 would seem pretty good.

·
Registered
691 Posts
The more I look at it the more it looks like silver paint on that area. Any chance someone cleaned up with wire brush then tried to cover with silver paint?
Dennis

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
the reason it looks like there are a lot of scratches is because of aggressive cleaning (sandpaper?)
Looking at the enlarged pictures, I agree...that thing has been very aggressively cleaned, either sandpaper or a wire wheel. I am almost leaning towards bare steel and not nickel plated.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Offer $600, and let the haggling begin.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts