Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many years was the colt lightweight goverment made, and was it only made in 45acp?
Bob

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
At least two and maybe three. I know one XSE LW Gov. sat in a LGS for over a year for $1.1K. Thought about it but did not buy.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Welcome to the Forum
The LW Government Model first appeared in 2010 in 45ACP only. It didn't last very long as Dakota1911 mentions. I'm pretty sure it was still catalogued in 2013 but disappeared shortly after.

·
Registered
10,821 Posts
I have one still NIB...just haven't gotten around to shooting it yet.

·
Premium Member
2,029 Posts
One of my favorite guns to carry in a high ride hip holster. You forget it's there and that govt size I shoot 10X better than a Commander-sized model.

·
Registered
7,950 Posts
Wanted one until I saw the several reports of frame cracks, this may be the reason they were discontinued?
Considering that Colt has made the alloy frame Commanders since 1949, I kind of wonder if the mass of the Government slide is too much for the alloy frame. I realize that this will get a response of: "Huh!"

·
Registered
10,821 Posts
I think the technology of using aluminum frames for 1911s as well a many other pistols is well sorted out. While it's certainly possible there could have been some kind of quality control issue to be looked at I would also look at basement gunsmiths making modifications as well as the use of .45 ACP+P ammunition which is widely available today. Aluminum has differing requirements in engineering than steel...even if outwardly looking the same.

·
Registered
10,821 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,029 Posts
OK OK OK. That is the 3rd time I heard they were discontinued because the frames crack. I just called Brent to put this to rest. There is no problem with that frame, period. In fact they still make them for some limited editions. The gun was classified as being in the XSE family and was discontinued when that whole group was. They were not cancelled because of a flaw, it was just yet another stupid marketing move in an organization that has raised that to an art form.

·
Colt Forum Friend
265 Posts
Repeat no cracking issues..... repeat no cracking issues..... repeat no cracking issues..... the lightweight government was the first of the XSE Standard line to be discontinued due to slacking sales, preceded by the double actions of course. The rest of the XSE line followed..... not due to sales.
Brent
Brent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts