Colt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

This is my second post here. I hope that this is the appropriate forum for posting percussion colts.

As I#ve seen that the image hosting doesn't always work, I've published the pics on another forum which is easier i hope.

Here's the link

http://daggers.infopop.cc/eve/forums?a=t...0444#5750000444

Of course, I'm concerned by the mismatching numbers. It looks ok otherwise. What's your thoughts? I'd also like to learn more about these London colts, are these sought after? What would be a ballpark value

Thanks wolfi

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
cant bring up the photo, try www.photobucket.com, it`s a free service. lacking that e-mail your photo to me at [email protected] and i`ll post it for you. yes london colts are a premium item. as to reference books there are many in many price ranges. a good one to start with is "colt an american legend by r.l. wilson" you can find it used on barnes&noble for around 30$ /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Hi Wolfi, That link accesses your entire Photobucket album as you may notice. In your album, just edit/copy the IMG code under the desired image and paste it into your post. No additional HTML required. For multiple images, check the select box on the desired images, scroll down and selaect Generate HTML. Then scroll down and edit/copy and paste the resulting IMG list the same as for a single. HTH /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks,

I have an idea about the value of a matching gun, but I would like to know how much in % the mismatching numbers distract from the value.

I'm on a trade for something that I could sell for $1700 quite easily. I like the 1851 but I want to know if it's a good investment and how much I could sell it if I had to.

I've posted the pics on the german daggers fire arms forum too, and they talk about english proof stamps which should be there. Were all of these guns proofed?

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
i dont think the myrid of proofs we associate with modern era britsh guns were required on percussion era guns. i think it was required by law but a little later possibly around the smokeless powder era.just my opinion

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Hi Wolfi,
This is an interesting M-1851 you have here... I can't tell from the photo... Is the finish overall dull grey metal or has the gun been tinned? Also, from what I can see the cylinder scene appears to be as new... Without more photos from different angles and in different lighting it would be hard for me to tell exactly the condition of your gun. I have found though that a mismatched gun generally brings a drastic price reduction in the collector's market unless there are historical reasons that it should be mismatched. And I have found that they are difficult to sell in mismatched condition. Check the cylinder carefully and be sure you don't have a current one fitted to the revolver if it is mismatched from the other numbers. If you are interested in learning about the 51 Navy Models try Sway's book "Colt 51 Navies". Also Ken Moore's book "Colt Single Action Army Revolvers and the London Ageny" will give you good background on Colt's imports to England.
If you are looking to buy this gun for an investment that you can later sell quickly, I would pass and try for an ALL MATCHING gun with some finish... Like I said, its hard to sell mismatches in the collector's market for retail prices... Just my opinion. Bob Best

1 - 10 of 10 Posts