Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am going to purchase a nice used Colt M1991A Compact Model. It does not have an owner's manual that comes with it, and I had a terribly hard time field stripping it in the store the other day. Is it possible to replace the full length guide rod assembly with a more traditional one? Is there a downside to this, and if so what would that be? If not, are there any tips on field stripping this gun? I never ran into a gun that was such a problem to disassemble.
Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
3,035 Posts
My guess is the previous owner put a full length guide rod assembly in it. My 1991 compact has the stock short guide rod. Here is a picture of the front. It field strips the same as a full size.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies. I wish to revert it back to the original guide rod assembly but I am having a hard time sourcing parts. Here is a picture of the gun.
20131101_103028 - Copy.jpg 20131101_103111.jpg

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,543 Posts
One possible issue is that in order to install some after market Officer's guide rods, the slide had to be altered by removing some metal from the rear of the recoil spring tunnel.

Assuming that's not a problem, you'll need the following Officer's/Compact parts:
A recoil spring guide.
A recoil spring plug.
A 22 pound recoil spring.

Note that one possible problem with the original Officer's model design was that there's a lug on the recoil spring plug that "can" shear off, allowing the recoil spring to escape.
This is why some owners installed guide rods, or "reverse" recoil spring plugs.
You can buy beefed-up standard type recoil spring plugs from several sources, who I can't off hand remember.

Note also that these guns are discontinued and even parts like the recoil spring plug and guide are difficult to find.
Most parts houses don't even list them.

The original Officer's had a double recoil spring, one small one inside the larger, with a total weight of 22 pounds.
Double springs are no longer available, so you need to use a single 22 pound spring.
If you intend to shoot hotter defense rounds you can use up to a 24 pound single spring.
NOTE: DO NOT use a polymer recoil buffer in the Officer's Model. The slide travel in the Officer's is short and a buffer can cause serious problems, including failures to feed or eject, and failures for the slide to lock open.

You can buy recoil springs for the Officer's from Brownell's, or direct from Wolff Gun Spring.

Buy the Officer's Model recoil spring guide and standard Officer's Recoil spring plug here, if available.
Note that the Colt Officer's ACP and the Colt 1991A1 Compact are the same gun. You'll have to call or email:

Jack First Gunshop - First in Gun Parts - Rapid City, South Dakota

Colt O - Frame Semi-Auto Pistol

Gun parts for major firearms companies, gunparts

RECOIL SPRING GUIDE, BLUE | Brownells
Out of stock, but possible back order.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One possible issue is that in order to install some after market Officer's guide rods, the slide had to be altered by removing some metal from the rear of the recoil spring tunnel.

Assuming that's not a problem, you'll need the following Officer's/Compact parts:
A recoil spring guide.
A recoil spring plug.
A 22 pound recoil spring.

Note that one possible problem with the original Officer's model design was that there's a lug on the recoil spring plug that "can" shear off, allowing the recoil spring to escape.
This is why some owners installed guide rods, or "reverse" recoil spring plugs.
You can buy beefed-up standard type recoil spring plugs from several sources, who I can't off hand remember.

Note also that these guns are discontinued and even parts like the recoil spring plug and guide are difficult to find.
Most parts houses don't even list them.

The original Officer's had a double recoil spring, one small one inside the larger, with a total weight of 22 pounds.
Double springs are no longer available, so you need to use a single 22 pound spring.
If you intend to shoot hotter defense rounds you can use up to a 24 pound single spring.
NOTE: DO NOT use a polymer recoil buffer in the Officer's Model. The slide travel in the Officer's is short and a buffer can cause serious problems, including failures to feed or eject, and failures for the slide to lock open.

You can buy recoil springs for the Officer's from Brownell's, or direct from Wolff Gun Spring.

Buy the Officer's Model recoil spring guide and standard Officer's Recoil spring plug here, if available.
Note that the Colt Officer's ACP and the Colt 1991A1 Compact are the same gun. You'll have to call or email:

Jack First Gunshop - First in Gun Parts - Rapid City, South Dakota

Colt O - Frame Semi-Auto Pistol

Gun parts for major firearms companies, gunparts

RECOIL SPRING GUIDE, BLUE | Brownells
Out of stock, but possible back order.
dfariswheel, Thank you so much!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts